Burt Williams RIP with added remarks

He is truly worthy of being on the Mount Rushmore of California pinot noir…a true founding father of deliciousness.

I will join your toast tonight.

Sorry for your loss Blake, I have many fond memories of WS wines from the 90’s.
RIP Burt.

Just saw this: Williams Selyem Founding Winemaker Burt Williams Dies at Age 79 | Wine Spectator

Some great memories there, Blake. Thanks for sharing those with us.
Tom

Sad to see him go, but what a great legacy.

I’m sure he was lucky to have you as a friend and counselor, Blake. I know you cared about him a great deal.

Thanks Chris, Tom, Don and all for your kind words. It’s quite the day for reminiscing and I found these phots from the last 4th of July party at Burt`s SB home in 2018:
IMG_1958.jpeg
IMG_1964.jpeg
IMG_1966.jpeg

Heartbreaking.

So many memories!
Burt used our barrels so I took the owners of the cooperage to the original winery, which was really just a very large garage.

First I could see the look in Madame Francois’ eyes, Mel is taking us to another whacko winery. Then Jean started to count the barrels and realized it was all Francois Freres.Then they tasted the wine and were blown away.

But the best part was when Jean had to use the toilet, only to discover it was in the middle of the room and marked off by shower curtains.

They renamed the winery, Domaine des Chiottes.

As others have said, so sorry that you have lost your very close friend, Blake. I take comfort in that you pretty much never failed of enjoying your many visits with him to the max. In a way, he will live on through all your evocative notes of your times together. My thoughts are definitely with you around this sad news. Be well, my friend, and I’m sure you’ll raise many a glass to Burt.

Hugs

Mike

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and memories, Blake. They are very much what we love about wine and the ways it channels our special feelings towards our dear friends.

I am sorry for your loss Blake, and for the loos all of us feel having adored these wines from near and far for decades.

Anyone near the South Coast of OR come on by, I have some aged Allen & Hirsch that’s getting set upright in Burt’s honor.

Rest peacefully sir.

Very sorry for your loss, Blake. It’s been a pleasure reading your thoughts on him and his wines over the years and I hope to continue to enjoy doing so.

What a wonderful tribute Blake. So sorry for the loss of your friend. RIP Burt Williams.

Very sad to hear Blake. Burt made some great wines.

How beautiful Glenn. I have many to share as well.

Jeremy, I so look forward to carrying on the adoration of Burt and the bottled results of the legacy he has left for us to enjoy and share.

Beautiful tribute, Blake. You and he were both very fortunate to have one another as good friends.

Great story Mel. The first I’ve heard that one.

I hope this doesn’t sound too crazy.

It’s hard to say correctly…

I wish you a quick passage from your sorrow to the long term joy of having known him.

If that doesn’t sound right, I will try again!

Your posts about your friendship with Burt have really made my experience in the hobby better and I appreciate what you’ve already done for his legacy in this hobby!

RIP. More than anyone else in the world, Burt Williams is responsible for my love of wine.