Burt Williams Appreciation Dinner Chicago Thu Jan 23

Jordan… just checked i did include you on the original poll (maybe i have an old email?).

Updating for folks who have confirmed.

One space available.

69DFA013-33C1-400B-BEDF-613E353BDBE0.jpeg
Pulled the wines from storage this afternoon . All look in good shape. A couple of slightly lower ullages on the 93s, but overall good fills and mostly spinning capsules.

I swapped the Rochioli for 1993 so we have to 3 bottle vintage flights.

Note: 1 seat still available.

Love it. Looking good. You all will have a spectacular time. Cheers to Burt.

Enjoy the tribute. I’d love to play but I’ll be out of town

That’s a good looking lineup.

I am interested if any more space is available!

Louie,

Think we may be full at the moment, but let me check on whether everyone is still in.

Clayton

Wish I could be there - enjoy guys!

Louie,

we will just up it to 9 folks. Please come along.

Clayton

Thank you Clayton for providing the lineup! It’s always a treat when these wines get opened

I thought on the whole the wines showed very well. if i could use one word to describe them it would be “transparent”.

Travelling this week, but will add notes to CT and post here the following week.

Thanks to everyone’s generosity with the champagnes.

Clayton

Clayton thank you for your above and beyond generosity in providing the Williams Selyem for the entire group. It was a special tasting of great wines I may not have ever had the chance to taste and you are very much appreciated.

Looking forward to all the notes and photos. Our SF/ Bay Area event was stellar- notes and all just posted on Wine Talk.

Hi Blake, here is link to my notes from the event.

Much appreciated Adam. Loved your lineup and most of the showings.

These notes are very late, and may be a touch out of order (sorry) but wanted to make sure i added them. Awesome dinner, much respect and RIP Burt.

list][*]1993 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Rochioli Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Bright garnet color, slightly browning at the edge.

Complex nose of reminiscent of a really finely crafted potpourri.

Mineral driven palate, very long with lush sweet (but never cloying) red and black cherries.

Savory morel finish.

Quite a complete California Pinot. (96 pts.)
[*]1993 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Cohn Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Bright rub color. Consistent to the edge.

Powerful nose, lead by floral notes, and supported by cola, cherries, and baking spice.

Lovely palate presence. Sweet red fruit but quite weightless. Finishes with a touch of red spice. (94 pts.)
[*]1997 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Allen Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Translucent red brick color

On the nose… mint, sous bois, spice and cherries.

Great entry. Red and a touch of blue fruits.

Savory, soil driven quality to this wine. Salinity.

Mineral and ferrous finish. Slightly claret-like. (94 pts.)
[*]2014 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Brut Blanc de Noirs Les Maillerettes - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/5/2020)
Disgorgement 02/19

Lovely nose of white roses, creamy autolysis and white peach.

Fresh tart palate. Granny smith apple. Chalky finish. Quite austere but with lovely length and style. (94 pts.)
[*]NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (3/5/2020)
Lovely bright salmon color. Aggressive bead.

Floral nose of roses and honeysuckle.

Great palate presence. Strawberries, raspberries, lemon zest and fine tannin.

Lovely balance. So long and full.

Disgorged Oct 2018 after 51 months on lees.

Very nice. (94 pts.)
[*]2008 Dom Pérignon Champagne - France, Champagne (3/5/2020)
Pale gold color. Fine bead.

Very balanced on the nose with white flowers, wet rocks and well developed autolysis.

Very young on the palate at this stage. White stone fruit, creamy with quite a firm attack.

Ripe and rounded. (93 pts.)
[*]1992 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Russian River Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Bright mahogany color.

Very claret style nose. Cedar and some fallen leaves with a black fruit undertone.

Earth, briary wild blackberries. Sweet entry, spice, great acid. Long. (92 pts.)
[*]1997 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Rochioli Riverblock Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Bright mahogany color.

Savory nose. Sous bois, autumn, cherries. Heady, but just a touch muddled.

On the palate, fresh mint, spice, bing cherries, cola, earth. Nice vinous quality. (92 pts.)
[*]2014 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Burt Williams’ Morning Dew Ranch - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (3/5/2020)
Beautiful brilliant garnet color.

Lovely lifted nose. Touch of spice, cinnamon, violets, eucalyptus. Great palate balance of black cherries, minerals and a hint of earth. Saline finish. (92 pts.)
[*]1993 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Ferrington Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (3/5/2020)
Mid to dark sangria color.

Speaks of place and winemaking with a whole cluster nose. Savory, damp earth, baking spice and a mint/menthol character.

Black fruits on the palate. Sweet and quite ripe. Shows plush and young but a touch on the ripe style for a Williams era wine. (91 pts.)
[*]1997 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Coastlands Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (3/5/2020)
Dark bright jewel-like polished garnet color.

Huge nose of cinnamon, violets and vanilla.

Lovely weight on the palate. Silky with seamless red fruits and spice.

Finishes with a touch of heat, that has always kept this wine from the being great for me.

Bottle sourced from the W-S library. (90 pts.)
[*]2004 Paul Georg Champagne Premier Cru Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru (3/5/2020)
Bright gold color.

On the nose, lemongrass, lemon curd, fresh baked bread.

On the palate, sweet ripe lemons. A little short and one note for me, but quite pleasant. (89 pts.)
[*]1996 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Olivet Lane Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (3/5/2020)
Faulty. Cooked, corked? Not sure. NR (flawed)[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker