Burr Grinder Recommendation

I’ve had a Mazzer mini for about 15 years. They are a bit on the pricey side, but they are basically commercial grade and last forever.

I was also going to suggest the drops of water trick. I use lighter roasts which are much less prone to the problem (but which are supposedly harder on grinders).

-Al

what Al said, or you can just barely wet the the non working end of a spoon/fork/knife and swirl around your beans before they’re ground.

Interesting. will give that a test. There is some static to the sides of the grind receptacle for sure… but I take that out, across the room and over to the sink to empty for that reason. The grinds show up on the counter all around the grinder regardless…

Another thing you can do to make clean up a bit easier is keep the grinder on top of a cloth place mat. I fold mine in half and then it’s pretty much the perfect size without taking up extra counter space and keeps the kitchen looking nice. Pretty much all the grounds fall on the place mat and then I just clean that. Makes it a bit easier to clean up.

1 Like

If you look closely when you remove the receptacle, you’ll probably be able to see a few grounds flying out. It’s definitely caused by static.

-Al

Like Don, I have the Rocky Roncillo and he is absolutely correct that it is a pain to sit there and hold down the grind switch (which takes a lot of pressure to hold down), but it is built like a tank. This thing has a monster motor, massive disc grinders, and taken care of will last forever. I am done with Baratza- bells and whistles and a weak motor and transmission.

I’ve had my Capresso infinity grinder for years. Got it based on a reco from another string on this board and I’ve been very pleased. Full disclosure, have only used to make coffee.

The Baratza models (I have the Virtuoso) are rebuildable, which I like. I never plan to buy another.

I have the Baratza 270w, I’m really glad I payed up for the model. It’s just so easy…hit the button and it weighs your beans.

Mine crapped out yesterday, 270wi. I was tardy with cleaning and ran some grindz to clean. It was too late, had to remove the burrs and clean it out. The display won’t light up.

actually a known issue - i had the same. they’ll send you a new controller/front thingy. annoying, but they’re responsive.

Thanks. I’ll call, I haven’t had time. Plus I have my old Barratza as backup and a Macap somewhere.

I have found this one to be reliable and built like a tank with all of the adjustability and none of the attitude my old Italian grinder exhibited.

Cuisinart hands down for a daily workhorse grinder but not for espresso grind level, for that recommendations have to go to the ascaso mini, great italian burr grinder for a decent price

I’ve had a Breville for about 10 years. It has been great. Still has good grind consistency after all this time.

I’ve been looking at the Ode, but it supposedly doesn’t go as fine as some would like it for V60 brewing. They are coming out with new burrs to address this. Otherwise it’s supposedly a great grinder.

Ideally, I’d really love to have an EK43S, but I can’t quite commit to it. Maybe if I can find a good second hand unit.

Weber Workshops HG-1. A burr grinder you can pass on to your children.

I’ve flirted with getting one of those in the past, but I had the impression is was more designed for the espresso end of things rather than drip or pour over. I abandoned my almost leap into the serious espresso world almost 10 years ago, so I never purchased an espresso grinder.

That thing is so beautiful it belongs in a museum.
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

this is what i have for espresso. i grind on average of 100 grams a day, good workout for my right arm. it’s outstanding, but not for everyone.
if you want to switch grind size, do not even think of buying. dialing this in took me a good 2 months.
i use a separate (read: cheaper) grinder for ‘coffee’.

edit-i just realized the max you could grind with their standard included equipment is probably 30 grams.
this could be modified with after market parts. and of course if you go on youtube you can see how people have added a motor to this unit. to me this defeats the purpose.