Burgundy Marathon - 2010 Burgs=Yum!

BEWARE - LONG POST!!! What a wonderful trip – I loved Burgundy before this past week and love it even more now. The hospitality of the people and domains are unmatched with everything about this “place” making it that much more special. I got to sample hundreds of wines last week and I’m going to try my best to get most of them in writing along with my thoughts. This is my first go at barrel tasting in Burgundy – I was very much impressed with the material that 2010 gave to Burgundy. The cellars were generous and open for business and the smiles couldn’t have been more apparent at the domains….

I am not a wine critic – just someone whom buys, drinks, and thinks way to much about wine :astonished:) – not a “collector” even though I have A LOT of wine in the cellar! Sooooo, take my notes as a shot from the hip on my part – my honest opinions written down for all to consume. The cellars were reported to me as being a wee bit warmer as of last week – most of the wines showed especially open and not closed down as would be the case in maybe a week+ or so as the temps slowly lower a bit as the wines get closer to bottling. I don’t want to tell you how much weight I gained last week – I’m saying it’s all water weight at this point :astonished:). Lunch at Auberge de la Miotte with Jean-Luc Pepin and Francois Millet was a highlight for me – comfortable food with great wine – wonderful company. A dinner at Aupres du Clocher in Pommard is a must! Until next time Burgundy – I’ll be back. A couple of thoughts before the notes start: 1) Coche-Dury is top as far as white burgs go, 2) aerating your coffee in your mouth early in the morning because you want to is not a sign that your crazy ;op, and 3) 2010 is a vintage that showed really well to me – guess I’ll have to continue on my buying streak! Just like the controversy with those whom like ’08 vs. ’09 (the other way around also) – I’ll be happy to have lots of ’08 through ’10 in my cellar to find out for myself.

The wines are listed generally in order of consumption starting on the plane ride over through the trip back – with some omitted for various reasons:

2008 Joseph Drouhin Rully: Not a bad starter from AA. Fresh with great acidity as many whites from ’08 show. Medium body and goes well with food. 88pts.

2004 Château Bel-Air: Well, I guess it’s O.K. to drink a Bordeaux since I wasn’t officially in Burgundy yet ;o). Nice levels of cassis and cedar spice – blackberry fruits. Fresh and went well with the red meat. 90pts.

Lunch at Chez Guy in GC:
2008 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet: From the train station to Chez Guy – Nice! Savory with hints of smoke on the nose. Poised with mineral undertones – fresh orchard fruits – lovely way to start. 90pts.

2007 Domaine Alain Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin: Solid village level wine with plenty of character. Like the Mis Favorites better. 88pts.

2006 Domaine Alain Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin Mes Favorites Vieilles Vignes: Blacker fruits with earthy undertones. Lovely texture in the mouth – another ’06 red burg that I like – went well with the food! 91pts.

Back at the house with company and dinner:
2009 Dujac Fils et Père Romanée St. Vivant: This bottle had been open the previous day. Dark and spicy nose of cloves and spiced cherry fruit. Long in the mouth with increased levels of savory dry extract providing length and undertones of crushed rocks and bright berry fruit. Long and soft – will develop nicely over time. 97+pts.

1995 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault Les Tessons Clos de Mon Plaisir: Back at the house. Lighter character here with cream and peach fruit. Smoke, savory fennel bulb, lime spice. Wanted more viscosity and finish in this one. 92pts.

2010 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly Cuvée Nicholas Matisse: From bottle – lovely nose with bright acidity and medium+ character in the mouth. Long with flinty orchard fruits – wonderful clarity of fruit – hints of chalk and spice. Yum – 91+pts.

N.V. Stéphane Coquillette Champagne Cuvée Diane: Pear spice with crisp apple aromas – spice and floral aromatics on the nose. Light in the mouth with laser like precsion – medium sized bubbles. 92pts.

1995 Michel Colin-Deléger et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers: Smoke, lime cream, savory apple cream. Someone said cinnamon French toast? Hint of minerals on the finish – missing a bit in the middle to make it to the next level IMHO. 92pts.

2007 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles: I’m really beginning to like the wines from P.Pernot – along with H.Boillot. Citrus+minerals and fresh cut herbs on the nose. Chalk and minerals with lively acidity in the mouth. Savory and long. 94+pts.

1997 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chênes: Lovely sous bois with hints of cardamom, medium’ish coffee, leather spice + fresh red beef. Large in personality with hints of spiced cherry and other dark berry flavors. This is a Lafarge Chenes – Yum! 92pts.

1999 Maison Champy Romanée St. Vivant: Creamy personality with lovely levels of Vosne spice and spiced cider. Light on the finish was my only beef with this wine. 91-92pts.

1995 Domaine Fourrier Griottes-Chambertin Vieille Vigne: This one was corked – darn. After talking to Jean-Marie later in the week this one would have been fun to try. He says that this ’95 is drinking just fine now with the structure coming first (nose second) vs. the other way around – which is the way he prefers his wine to show.

1997 Frederic Esmonin Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: Funky at first – blew off. Sous bois with hints of anise and airy red currant/red cherry aromas. Cherry tobacco and fennel to finish – nice medium+ finish. Showed well for me – 93pts.

1997 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre: With the cheese course. Creamy style – apple and spiced pears – creamy like maybe some ’06 white burgs come off to me – still nice to sample. 90pts.

1996 Huët Vouvray Moelleux Clos du Bourg: Dried apricots and fuzzy peaches (much like a vin de paille from the Northern Rhone). Golden raisin and honey spice with refreshing acidity. Cloves and flowers. 92+pts and a nice way to finish dinner :astonished:).

At Mugneret-Gibourg:
2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne: Great value for a regional wine – showed tight on the finish with plenty of great burg qualities. 87-88pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée: A step up and still tight on the finish – touch of spice and light fruit flavors – tart berries. 88-89pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots: 40% new oak – lovely in the mouth with blue fruits and lovely undertones of spiced cherries. Seems poised for a bright future – liked this one for some reason :astonished:) – 93pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Feusselottes: 40-50% new oak – quick notes as I was tasting. Wanted to find more CM character in this one – this one was a bit shy with sous bois and tart cherry flavors – nice level of balanced acidity. Seems to have shut down in barrel? 92pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux: 80% oak – should decrease when put together for bottling. Notes of earth and mushrooms – lovely spiced black fruits with more of these long and airy earth aromas and flavors – right on track with acidity and length. Liked this one – 94-95+pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin Old Vines: Spiced earth again – more high toned spiced cherry and leather in this one. Hints of blue fruits – lots of nice Gevrey character – yum. 95+pts – others didn’t seem to like this as much as I. I think it was just so different in terroir when tasted right after the previous wines.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Ruchottes-Chambertin – vines 11 years old – GC 1er: ? oak – my notes say 50%??? More flavors of clay and soft cherry – young vines with all of what the Ruchottes Old Vines has just less overall complexity. Really fun to taste this one next to the older vines. Softer personality. 91-92+pts.

2010 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot: Touch of bright strawberry fruit – light and airy. Tight tannins which seems to point that this wine has shut down before bottling? Seems to have a lot to give – will love to try this again in 5-7 years time. 93+pts.

2008 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Chaignots: Fun to try this after the 2010 wines. Showed the ’08 acid streak with clean cherry and light savory earth tones and spices. Will develop nicely over time. 92+pts.

With Food:
2009 Roux Père & Fils Saint-Aubin La Pucelle: Light and clean – tight mineral driven finish – wanted more on the nose – nice wine for the price. 88pts.

2005 Domaine Michel Noëllat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: Nice ’05 burg – very ’05 in personality. Powerful and clean with it’s flavors with a wee bit of VA to start. Lots of black fruits and purple flower notes – this wine really gives. 93pts.

At Jadot – what a great visit here with Frederic Barnier. Jadot will be just fine with Frederic at the helm in the future:
2010 Louis Jadot Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru En Caradeux Clos de la Croix de Pierre Blanc: Village and 1er blend. Touch of banana esters, lemon cream/spice, chalky personality. 87pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Grèves La Clos Blanc: Nice acid structure with touches of apple/bright pear cream – medium finish. Nice at this level. 89pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Meursault 1er Cru Les Genevrières: Slate with a touch of flint – touch of oak influence with a nice mineral infused finish – riper flavors here. 91pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières: Touches of lime cream and creamed minerals on the nose. Chalk infused mouth feel. Long with tangy and savory acids – lovely Meursault! 94pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot: Nice levels of dry extract here – slate/limestone with a finish full of citrus fruits and associated acids. 91+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Chassagne-Montrachet La Romanée Blanc: These vines are right next to the quarry – highest up. Lots of chalk/limestone and minerals – medium+ finish – nice CM! 92pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Folatières: Closed nose – not giving at all – judgment reserved.

2010 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles: This was a new one from Jadot that I hadn’t known they made – love Pucelles generally and this one was really nice! So nice that I just went out and got some ’08 :astonished:). Nice levels of soft lime flavors – cream and spiced pear aromas – flowers. Long profile from start to finish with medium+ extract. 93+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Garenne Domaine du Duc de Magenta: Less generous and complex when tasted after the Pucelles – maybe a function of barrel tasting…? More rocks and other cold orchard fruits here. 91pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles: This wine is FANTASTIC and was darn near one of the top wines I tasted while in Burgundy. 2-3 levels up from the previous whites – so much refreshing and long dry extract that was just exploding (that was for you Roger :op) with character and levels of complexity. Chalky and long in the mouth. 97+pts and I can’t wait to try this in bottle at some point.

2010 Louis Jadot Bâtard-Montrachet: White pear fruit with hints of smoke and creamed minerals throughout. Everything is there – just wasn’t even a contest when tasted next to the ’10 Demoiselles. 94pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Corton-Charlemagne: Creamy pear and cold white orchard fruits – touch of well integrated oak flavors. Quince fruits – medium+ finish. At or better than the Batard in quality IMHO – 94+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Les Hauts Jarrons: Liked this at this level – not bad. 87pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru La Dominode: Nice little red – nice Savigny Rouge. 88-89pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Ursules: Earthy clove spice, lightly spiced cherries, touch of tartness in the mouth – easy going and balanced IMHO. 92+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens: I generally really like this vineyard in Pommard – from Jadot also. Touches of heme/iron, earth – medium’ish soft tannins with nice levels of extract – balanced and very Pommard. Try in 10+ years. 92-93+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Barre: Oh so Volnay after tasting the Pommard. Airy spiced cherry fruit with creamy and lightly tart acid structure. Easy going – drinks balanced and pure. 90pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes: This was a new one for me from Jadot – haven’t tasted this before from any vintage. These vines are in front of and very close to Bonnes Mares – I could really get this when tasting. Creamed cherry fruit with more powerful and extracted flavors – floral aromatics and an elegance that was very refreshing. Lovely wine… 93-94+pt wine that I would love to sample again in 5+ years.

2010 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares: Just on the other side of the road from Baudes…. Darker cherry profile, heme, rocks, and medium+ dry extract. Would like to try in 5+ years. 94+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots: Airy cherry fruit and light spice – hints of sous bois. Didn’t come across to me as all that special for some reason when compared to a recent ’05 Jadot Suchots I’ve sampled. 91pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Echezeaux: Closer to the VR side. More blue fruits here/earthy black cherry – hints of spices. Balanced wine. 93pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: One of my favorites from Jadot generally – high expectations from me. Smoke and earthy mushroom aromas, iron, dark cherry extract. Elegant and pure – will be buying! 92-93+pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Bèze: Riper cherry fruits here when compared to the Echezeaux and CsJ. Lovely and balanced aromatics and lovely textural components. Liked this – 95pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis: Whole cluster fermentation – no de-steming here. Dark fruits and very Clos St. Denis – powerful with that creamy black cherry length in the mouth + savory meat textures. 93-94pts.

2010 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot: Stringent and tight personality – close shut for my tastes. Judgment reserved.

2009 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Garenne Domaine du Duc de Magenta: Soft touch of tropical coconut – esters, touch of creamy oak, apple compote. 90-91pts.

2009 Louis Jadot Montrachet: Touch of fennel bulb, medium+ lime cream, touch of vanilla cream, apple infused minerals. Medium+ finish. 95pts.

2008 Louis Jadot Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes: Vanilla cream, cold marshmallow, long in the mouth with a finish full of cold pineapple aromas and flavors. Savory… 93+pts.

2009 Louis Jadot Clos de la Roche: Great nose and not over ripe at all. Dark cherries and red plum – infused with great earthy undertones. 94+pts.

2009 Louis Jadot Clos Vougeot: Soft cherry – tight tannins – less airy fruit and only medium viscosity or fruits and flavors in the mouth. Not as impressed with this one. 91pts.

2009 Louis Jadot Corton-Grèves: Touch of brett here – quickly integrated – kind of odd for this to show here – not sure? Dark cherry and very Corton – medium+ finish. 89pts.

2001 Louis Jadot Bonnes Mares: I think the ’00 version of this one is drinking nice right now – my first sampling of the ’01 version. Earthy shrooms with a touch of green. Touch of secondary aromas showing here with flashes of chalky bright cherries. This one also had a touch of funk that blew off quickly. 92pts.

Ma Cuisine:
2006 Coche-Dury Meursault: That touch of matchstick – smoke. Orange peel and waxy minerals – lovely and long with great structure for a ’06 – nice drinking wine. 92pts.

2005 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault 1er Cru Bouchères: Almost ’06 like with it’s creamy texture – plump…. Took a while to open – ripe and full bodied in personality. 92pts.

2007 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Cras: Super nice airy and ripe cherry aromas – restrained and pure. Floral with red and blue flowers throughout. Clean and long. 94pts and drank well that night – a nice ’07 red burg for sure.

Maison Ilan with Ray Walker – Thanks for spending time with us Ray!! We really liked your wines:
2010 Maison Ilan Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Monts-Luisants: 2yo barrels used. Pure fruits here – touch of reduction to start. Dark cherry with a touch of heme – medium length in the mouth. 91pts.

2010 Maison Ilan Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Les Chaffots: Bordered by Clos St. Denis? Darker in texture and fruits and seems more Chambolle in style – elegant and transparent in flavors and textures. 91+pts.

2010 Maison Ilan Charmes-Chambertin Aux Charmes Vieilles Vignes: Pretty and airy soft cherry fruit – I can get Gevrey here – elegant and pure. Liked this the best from the line-up – Nice! 93+pts.

2010 Maison Ilan Chambertin Vieilles Vignes: Next to Leroy’s vines :astonished:). Smoke and lighter cherry here – Chambertin personality in a silk glove. 93pts.

Lunch at Cave de Madeline in Beaune:
1999 Domaine Guy Roulot Meursault Les Tillets from Magnum: Soft cream with a touch of oak – lacking fruit with night minerality. 89pts.

2007 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée from Magnum: Red fruits – generic vosne spices mixed with a nice strand of bright red berries – builds a bit in the glass. 91pts.

More tastes:
2009 Domaine Bernard (Mark?) Morey et Fils Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly: Nice and precise wine – medium finish and clean. 90pts.

2010 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Chatenière: A couple points better than the wine above – clean with more precision and better acid backbone. 91+pts.

2002 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru La Perrière: Influences of oxidation with a touch of oak showing. Metallic taste with acid driven cold apple flavors – aligote in this wine???

2007 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet: Another P.Pernot wine that I like – yum. Mineral driven and fruit driven wine – long and balanced IMHO. 95+pts.

Dinner with a friend:
2009 Domaine Jean-Claude Bachelet et Fils Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Blanchot Dessus: My first wine ever from this vineyard (well located if you ask me) – wonderful wine with pure fruits and a nice balance of extract/length/acidity. Hope to find some of this one! 93+pts.

2009 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Vosne-Romanée: Quick taste of this one – lovely and very much from ’09 - wonderful mouth presence. 90pts.

2009 Benjamin Leroux Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Aux Thorey: Quick taste of this one – like this also. 91+pts.

2009 Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes: Was happy to see this one as I really like the ’10 of this. Much like the ’10 from barrel – very ’09 in texture. Long and clean flavors – not overdone at all… 93pts.

1993 Henri Jayer Echezeaux: Hints of oak and very earthy in character. Multi-dimensional nose - lovely layers of spice and sweet earth – old leather and more spiced cherries. Lovely and long – seemed young. 95+pts.

1993 Domaine Georges Mugneret/Mugneret-Gibourg Echezeaux: Would have though this couldn’t hold up with the H.Jayer from the same year – wrong. Lovely and pure – more elegant in nature – red fruits – long. This wine showed great this night and kept up with the Jayer. 94-95pts.

1978 Bouchard Père et Fils La Romanée: Pop – there goes my cherry :astonished:) – my first La Romanee – the La Romanee. Lovely secondary and ripe notes of sweet cherries, touch of ginger spice, sweet earth, and sour black cherry. Sous bois… Lovely – 96-97pts.

1978 Michel Gaunoux Pommard 1er Cru Les Grands Épenots: My first wine from Gaunoux – lovely. I really like the way well made Cortons and Pommard wines can age – this is no exception and kept up with the La Romanee quite well. Large wine with savory characteristics of sweet earth and leather spice – black sour cherries. Yum – 95pts.

2008 De Montille Bâtard-Montrachet: Etienne de Montille joined us for dinner that night – he brought this. No label as this isn’t sold… Super structure and lovely acidity – on par with the best wines from Batard Montrachet I’ve sampled. 96pts.

DRC with Bertrand – got to see Aubert toward the end. Production – 2010=2011 > 2009 and much more than 2008. Less or no big bottles (>mag sizes) starting in ’09 except for the winery. I agree with this move as these d-mags and greater are auction/for trade items only. No RsV and Monty to taste due to the status of these wines in the cellar – moving around and such:
2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Corton: In 2009 there were approx. 8000 bottles – in 2010 I counted 16 barrels (maybe more?). Corton structure with a nice mix of power and finesse – pure fruit with a savory tannin structure. 92pts.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Echezeaux: Seemed to have tight acids with a slight spice profile going. Perfumed with medium+ finish. Seemed to be the less expressive one of the bunch right now – judgment reserved for a future date.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Grands-Echezeaux: Deeper color here with sous bois and savory spiced cherry flavors – step up in structure from the Echezeaux and this one seemed more open for explore on the nose. Pure and transparent with more dimensions as it unfolded in the glass. 95+pts.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Richebourg: Purple flowers and spice on the nose – roses. Super nice balance of stylish acid and sweet tannins. Floral in capitals is what I have down at the end of my tasting note. Power and finesse – 96-97+pts.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche: Refined burgundy in the glass. All about structure and spice at this time – seemed tight and poised for the future – lots of chewy fruits with great balance. Judgment reserved for a future date – can’t wait to compare my mental notes on this wine the next time I get to taste it from bottle.

2010 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Romanée-Conti: Not sure I’ll get the chance to buy this one – hope I do… Counted 16 barrels of this in the back part of the cellar - what a sight to see! Deeper in sensations with that oh-so-slight touch of gingerbread spice and primary earthy blackberry and cherry fruit. Balanced structure – lovely and long with tart and somewhat tight tannins. 98-99+pts.

More tastes:
2009 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Montmains: Smoke, salted lime cream, crushed shells, savory. Tight and precise in its flavors and length. 92pts.

2010 Marcel Lapierre Morgon Côte du Py: This is a super Morgon – loved it just like the 2009 – well made. 92pts.

Dujac with Jacques Seysses – no 2010s from barrel that day. Saw Jasper Morris in the back barrel room thinking hard about something in his glass :astonished:):
2009 Domaine Dujac Morey St. Denis: Nice and true to its place – a super village level burg – 2009 in style and pleasure. 90pts.

2009 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes: I generally like this wine from Dujac – others maybe not so much. Spiced cherry fruit, dried roses, earthy sweetness – well balanced with plenty of Gevrey character to go around. 93+pts.

2009 Domaine Dujac Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Aux Malconsorts: Loved this flavor profile high toned sweet berry fruit, red currant, and just the perfect Vosne spice profile – for me at least. Chalky and suave tannins. 95+pts.

2009 Domaine Dujac Clos de la Roche: Super classy wine with intense spice and dark cherries – Intense and Spicy is at the end of my tasting note. 97+pts.

2001 Domaine Dujac Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Aux Combottes: Red fruits with a touch of sweetness – Gevrey earth. Blue fruits with uplifted cold berry aromas. Long in the mouth – tannins are a bit tight. 92pts.

1996 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis: Sweet berries with a slight touch of green pepper. Opened up in the glass – seemed to gain weight. Lovely structure with cool black fruits. 95pts.

More tastes:
1999 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots: P-mox!

1999 Etienne Sauzet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champ-Canet: Touch of oak with decent levels of fruit – but – seemed a bit bland. 88pts with no real P-mox – just not that exciting of a wine.

1999 Bouchard Père et Fils Chevalier-Montrachet La Cabotte: This one was drinking quite nice from what I remember! Lovely layered wine with plenty of savory acids and extract. 94+pts.

1995 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts: Fair amount of VA on the nose that really stayed with the wine – couldn’t get over that. Good wine under this – judgment reserved.

1997 Domaine Robert Arnoux Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Suchots: Yum – top of the class from Suchots. Lovely and stylish from this vintage. Just seemed to have that extra dimension of flavors – liked this. 93pts.

2009 Domaine Henri Naudin-Ferrand Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits Myosotis arvensis: Free sample given to me – not sure of the producer or this wine in particular. Gave it 89 pts.

Habanos Cohiba Montecristo: Medium flavors – mild :astonished:).

Jobard with Antoine Jobard. Met him this past La Paulee so it was a pleasure tasting in his cellar:
2009 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Bourgogne Blanc: Regional Meursault from 4 different parcels. Fresh flavors with a limestone laced finish. 87pts.

2009 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault En La Barre: Touches of lime cream and more minerality here. Medium flavors in the mouth. 89pts.

2009 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots: Lovely profile here – liked this one and thought it had future potential. 92+pts.

2009 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Genevrières: Clean and pure – touch of spiced cold apples – mineral infused from start to finish. 94+pts.

2008 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault Tillets: Yum – savory. Also have down that I want to buy some of this along with the ’09 Genevrieres. 92pts.

2008 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Laser like acidity – focused viscosity with a touch of cream and mint. Nice – 94-95+pts.

1998 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Genevrières: Antoine said ’98 was not an easy vintage for his whites. A wee bit of reduction showed at first – blew off. Touch of spiced apples on the nose with chalky acidity. 94pts.

More tastes at Le Vieux Vigneron:
2008 Henri Germain Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Minerals and zippy spiced cream – lovely and very much like this one. 92-93pts.

2008 Henri Germain Meursault Le Limozin: Tart acid, fresh personality and less viscosity than the Charmes. 90pts.

2007 Jean-Luc Joillot Pommard 1er Cru Les Rugiens: Brett that integrated after some time in the glass. Blackberry and black strawberry flavors – tart and open knit acid/tannin structure. 91pts.

Vineyard tasting right at the Clos St. Jacques vineyard looking up at the vines of this vineyard, Combes aux Moines, and Cazetiers:
2005 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers: Layers of sturdy Gevrey black fruits and earth which didn’t stand up all that well after re-tasting back 24hr later or so. 91pts.

2005 Louis Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines: At first it showed a bit of VA that integrated after re-tasting 24hr later. Bright and chewy cherry with a touch of raspberry in there. Soft and pure. 92pts.

Carillon with Jacques Carillon. 2010 onward there was a split of Louis Carillon to the two sons – Jacques got the BBM. So for the sake of not knowing how all of these labels are going to look starting with 2010 – I’ll have these down as Louis Carillon :astonished:). Per Jacques, he has always been the one in the cellar and Francois was always in the vineyards:
2010 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet: Touch of salty caramel – acid driven mouth-feel. 11 different parcels. 88pts.

2010 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champs Canet: More acid when compared to the PM village. Flattering flavors of peaches and lime cream – more dry extract here. Long in the mouth – citrus fruits. 91pts.

2010 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières: More immense body here – this wine seems more available and giving. Fresh and clean. 92pts.

2010 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts: Lovely spine of minerality from start to finish – lovely. Wrote down that I would/should buy some of this – have never sampled a Referts from Carillon before – nice! 93+pts.

2010 Louis Carillon Bienvenues-Bâtard-Montrachet: 600 bottles for the world. Lemon cream + dry extract. 1-2 levels up from the Refers in complexity and length. Clean and pure. 95+pts.

2009 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet: The vintage worked well with the bottling IMHO. 89pts.

2009 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Champs Canet: Seemed perfectly poised for mid-term drinking and is open for business now. 90pts.

2009 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes: Last vintage of this wine for Jacques – all went to his brother starting in 2010. Touches of herbal and floral aromatics. Medium+ finish – nice. 92+pts.

2009 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières: This is another ’09 from Jacques that did well in ’09 – great balance of extract and acidity. 94pts.

2009 Louis Carillon Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts: Elegant from start to finish – another Referts from Carillon that I like – a new one for me. “On Radar” is what I have down at the end of this tasting note. 94+pts.

Tasting at Lafarge. Loved tasting in the cramp old cellar with Frederic:
2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Bourgogne-Aligoté Raisins Dorés: 75yo old vines – golden raisins. Tight and tart – not my style. 85pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Meursault: Lots of peach aromas and flavors here – minerals and stone fruits throughout. 88pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Beaune 1er Cru Les Aigrots Blanc: Delicate flavors of limestone infused orchard fruits – touch of mint – touch of oak. 90pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Bourgogne: Simple and would probably go great with food. 87pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay: A good wine like the above. 88pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay Vendanges Sélectionnées: A step above the Volnay – tight on the palate and not showing much. 90pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Beaune 1er Cru Les Aigrots: Judgment reserved – just wasn’t giving to me that day.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Beaune 1er Cru Grèves: 90yo vines – walked past this vineyard on my way down to Beaune – nice walk. Lovely and true to it’s place – nice persistence. 89pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Mitans: Nice – Dark flavor profile with tight tannins. ? enough fruit to integrate with the structure ? yes is what I put down. 90+pts – this would be interesting to taste again in 15 years or so.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets: Lots of stones in the soil here at this vineyard. Savory and long wine – lots of nice acid and structure – black cherry. 92+pts.

2010 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos du Château des Ducs: Dense and structures – more stones in this wine with the same fruit profile as the Caillerets. 94+pts.

2009 Domaine Michel Lafarge Beaune 1er Cru Les Aigrots: Generous tart red berry fruits – tart acid structure. Good balance of fruit and structure IMHO – starting to shut down? 93pts.

1988 Domaine Michel Lafarge Volnay 1er Cru Clos des Chênes: Frederic reports that this is just starting to drink well – his wedding year. Long spicy finish with granite infused long tannins – somewhat savory. 95pts. Frederic also reports that the 1992 Ducster is drinking great right now – go for it if you have it :astonished:).

At Cave de Arches in Beaune:
1999 Saint-Chamant a Epernay Champagne Brut Cuvee de Chardonnay: Blood orange aromas – tight aromas of chalk and spiced apples. Tight bubbles – 91pts.

2008 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clavoillon: The presence of this wine can’t be denied. Lemon cream and savory acids – long in the mouth. 94pts.

1993 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne: Another lovely ’93 blanc – yum. Took a while to open up fully – served a bit cold. Almond cream with lots of savory stone fruits. Viscous and balanced. 96pts.

2008 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Charmes-Chambertin: This one was just a bit under the next wine in quality when tasted side-by-side. Less apparent oak spice + tart cherry and other bright red berry fruit. Lovely and long – savory. 93pts.

2006 Domaine Dujac Charmes-Chambertin: Seemed younger and more poised to give more tomorrow. This still gave plenty that night – darker in flavor profile than the Rousseau above with lots of earthy components. 94pts.

1997 Domaine Anne Gros Clos Vougeot Le Grand Maupertui: Another nice ’97 red burg. Super classy wine, touch of mint and long in the mouth. Like this one for some reason – only matters what’s in the glass. 96pts.

Tasting at Anne Gros:
2010 Domaine Anne Gros Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits Rouge: 86pts.

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Chambolle-Musigny La Combe d’Orveau: CM perfumed fruit – nice and clean entry. A wee bit lacking on the palate. 89pts.

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Richebourg: Deep spice and earth – perfumed and pure. Great acid structure and soft in the mouth. Vines mostly planted in 1942 with 7 barrels made in 2007 and 9 barrels made in 2009. 96+pts – liked this one!

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Bourgogne: 86pts

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Echezeaux Les Loachausses: Made since 2007 – 30yo vines – 15 barrels made in 2010. Earthy blackberry and black cherry fruits. Medium+ finish. 92-93pts.

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Clos Vougeot Le Grand Maupertui: Planted in 1907 with an average vine age of about 65 years – 11 barrels made. Touch of oak char – tight tannin structure with lovely earthy aromas and flavors. 92+pts.

2010 Domaine Anne Gros Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits Blanc Cuvée Marine: Not a classic chard – lychee nuts and beeswax – other orchard fruits. Weird - judgment reserved.

Auberge de la Miotte lunch with Jean-Luc Pepin and Francois Millet of Vogue:
2008 Coche-Dury Meursault: Super wine at this level – Coche all the way! Sweet and savory lime cream – touch of matchstick. 93pts.

1993 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Perrières: Savory black cherry – clay – spiced cherry with a burly personality. Gave a lot after sitting in the glass – not bad. 92pts.

1999 Domaine Denis Bachelet Gevrey-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes: Meaty with a backbone of granite infused black berry and black strawberry fruit – mouth coating – touch of hems. Serious wine at this level. 92pts.

Visit at Vogue – what an open knit set of wines that really struck at the heard of Chambolle Musigny – stellar wines in 2010:
2010 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny: Open and airy fruit – balanced – killer village wine in 2010. 91-92pts.

2010 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru: 10-25yo Musigny vines. Pomegranate/blackberries/fresh candied cherry fruits. Spices and roses – touch of black raspberry fruit + red currant. 93-94+pts.

2010 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses: This one nearly brought me to my knees – seriously – Super wine. Open for business with the open knit and airy CM cherry and pomegranate fruit – touch of pepper. Soft and long in the mouth. Francois Millet says this wine has “double minerality” – I can see this. 96-97+pts.

2010 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares: Clay driven cherry fruit – creamy texture – roses/lilacs with a touch of blueberry – open knit and lively acid structure. Yum – 96pts.

2010 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Musigny Cuvée Vieilles Vignes: Near the very top of the wines I tasted this trip. Wee bit reserved on the nose at first – deep nose of roses and a touch of grapefruit. Multi-dimensional in it’s attack – fresh from start to finish with a balance minerality. There’s more here – 98+pts.

Fourrier visit with Jean-Marie – great visit:
2009 Domaine Fourrier Morey St. Denis Clos Solon Vieille Vigne: Clean and pure – lovely structure. 91pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne: Vines planted in 1928. Super nice wine for a village level – ’09 is great for this wine. 92pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Vougeot 1er Cru Les Petits Vougeots Vieille Vigne: More CM in character with hints of Clos Vougeot. Thought this was great – liked it. 92pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Gruenchers Vieille Vigne: Clean and pure with medium+ structure. Sweet tannins and a lovely masculine cherry/earthy nose. 93+pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes Vieille Vigne: Just below Beze. Perfumed Gevrey spices here – very Gevrey – lovely. Want to buy some – 93+pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Champeaux Vieille Vigne: Liked this one as well – larger structure – wider shoulders here. Still very Gevrey – poised to get better with time – 92+pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines Vieille Vigne: Softer personality of all the GC 1ers sampled – spine of granite infused soft cherry fruit – purple flowers. Lovely – 93pts.

2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques Vieille Vigne: Now we’re talking – elegant and powerful – soft flavors with bigger structure here. Powdery tannins – pure. 96+pts.

More tastes:
1998 Jean Boillot & Fils Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Mouchère: Golden color – touch of oxidation. Creamy texture – light viscosity – seemed a bit lacking in fruit. 88pts.

1999 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Combettes: Super yum wine – touch of matchstick – lemon cream and long in the mouth – has everything going for it from this bottle. 94-95pts.

2002 Louis Jadot Chevalier-Montrachet Les Demoiselles: Lovely wine – touch of honey cream – lots of spices and minerals. 95pts.

1993 Michel Esmonin & Fille Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: Dark fruits – bland earthy aromas and flavors – blackberries. Lacks freshness IMHO. 91pts.

1997 Domaine Armand Rousseau Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques: Spices and Gevrey earth all over this one – Sous bois with touches of menthol. 94pts.

1999 Domaine G. Roumier / Christophe Roumier Chambolle-Musigny: Another super village level wines – can drink well if you’re looking in the right places. Soft/Feminine – lovely. 92pts.

2009 Christophe Pichon Condrieu Patience: Spiced pears and apricots – clove honey and honeysuckle – savory acids. 94+pts.

1997 Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé Bonnes Mares: Off bottle :O(.

2008 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly: Liked this one – 91 pts.

2008 Olivier Leflaive Bourgogne Blanc Les Sétilles: Had a glass of this – easy going – liked they Y-C Morey En Remilly better. 89pts.

Visit at Remoissenet with Pierre Rovani – Super nice visit Pierre. Thank you for taking us through your wines:
2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Pouilly-Fuissé: bright and fruity ;o). 85pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Santenay: Touch of sulfur – quickly blew off – shy. 85pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Chablis 1er Cru Fourchaume: Stylish wine but a bit shy – tart acid structure. 90pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru Meursault-Poruzots: Nice nose of fresh hazelnuts and touches of lemon meringue – lime cream – spiced apples. Meduium finish. 91+pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Meursault 1er Cru Charmes: Lively personality with increased levels of dry extract here. I want more acid in this one. 91pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Montrachet: Wowser – great material here from – Baron Thenard grapes. Per Pierre – this wine has slowly been getting better vintage over vintage – this ’10 is fantastic. Creamed hazelnuts, high levels of extract and creamed minerals – lime acid – long and clean in the mouth. A wow wine – 98pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves: Only slightly aromatic on the nose – creamy tannins in the mouth with lovely dark earthy flavors. 90pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Les Marconnets: 11 barrels from what I counted. Not bad and in the same style as the Greves – touch more length in the mouth. 91pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Vosne-Romanée: Touch of spice – still tight and may have shut down? 85pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Nuits St. Georges: Nice village level wine I thought – 89pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Bousselots: Touch more extract and more open than the NsG – 90pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin: This one was from a new oak barrel – could tell. Nice material under this – 89pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Trio: From three different GC 1ers – all to small to bottle on their own. Several really like this – will buy if I can find and it’s priced right – nice. 91+pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Les Cazetiers: Bigger Gevrey style – still light on its feet. Lots of black fruits and mineral driven earthy flavors. 92pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Charmes-Chambertin: <Two barrels made. Savory red fruits – blue fruits – floral. Elegant and feminine with suave tannins – liked this one. 94pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Clos Vougeot: 3 barrels made – Pierre is proud of this one and rightfully so! Denser mouthfeel – rocks. Spicier dark cherry and plenty of sappy earth. Lovely – 95pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et FilsChapelle-Chambertin: Another winner – lovely and pure. A wee bit tigher personality with nice levels of acidity. 94pts.

2010 Remoissenet Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze: I just love the aromatics that a nice Beze can give off – this is no exception. Savory spice – high pitched red tones – purple flowers. Chewy fruits – floral – long in the mouth. 95+pts.

2009 Remoissenet Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Trio: Much like the ’10 in character – will drink nice early. 91pts.

More tastes:
2009 Maison Alex Gambal Corton-Charlemagne: Lovely and pure – savory CC with much in common and in the same style as the Bouchard CC IMHO. Nice – 94pts.

2009 Maison Alex Gambal Clos Vougeot: Seemed a wee bit one dimensional – earth spice and cherry fruits. Wanted more which wasn’t delivered. 91pts.

THE END!!! Until next time Burgundy.

awesome notes. If you’re not a collector, I want to be whatever you are to get to taste at DRC [snort.gif]

Yep Phil - my liver is toast :astonished:))))))))). Need more Burgundy!

Charlie - Good Clean Living [cheers.gif] !

Pretty solid trip…when C and I make it with you, we’ll go bigger!

1 Like

Jonathan,

My first thought was, “Can I go with you next time?”.

Amazing trip with super notes. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I am extremely impressed with the caliber and number of domaines you visited. How did you manage to arrange all of these visits (in general), particularly with such heavy hitters? Also, what was your favorite place to stay, and what was your major mode of trsansportation (with all of that grand vin in your system)?

As I am dreaming of a trip to the Cote perhaps someday soon, I am becoming interested in such logistics.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

You’re on!!! [cheers.gif]

This is the first time I’ve taken such comprehensive notes during a wine trip - glad I did! These aren’t all of them either - left out some just because I thought the post was long enough. These professional wine critics work hard - I know I did. Some of the visits were through contacts - others through friends whom have been. Lots of planning and organizing happened - thanks Roger!! Stayed at Tierra de 'Or above Beaune - a 10min or so walk into town right by Beaune Greves - super nice. We had cars take us around - never drove - this is the way to go if you ask me… Just like any visit to wine country - spitting is a must!

you and roger are my heros!

[cheers.gif]

Great notes Jon! Pretty spot on. My favorites from barrel for the trip was the Jadot Chevy (awesome wine), Carillon BBM, Vogue Moose, Ray’s Chambertin and Mugneret-Gibourg Eschezeaux. (didn’t get to taste at DRC)

You are about 5 points light on the '95 Roulot, but you know how I feel about Roulot.

The '10 Jadot Vougeot was flawed or awful ('09 not much better). Either way it was an undrinkable sour mess, but their other wines showed pretty well, for the most part.

Great trip and was happy to be along for he ride. I learned a TON and found some new favorites (Jobard and Carillon).

Jonathan…great notes and sounds like you had a fantastic trip. Reading your notes reminds of my recent trip to Burgundy and makes me want to go back even more. You visited some really great growers that I hope to be able to get in to during my next visit to Burgundy.

Wow, Great notes. Where the heck is that “jealous” emoticon???

I want. golf clap for notes and trip.

Great notes Jonathan!!!

Impressive tasting but even more impressed that you could remember all that and have the energy to write it. Thanks

Looks like a Kim trip? Very nice. The 07 Pernots are wonderful wines. Lots of great places you visited. Francois has such a very dry sense of humor. A brilliant man too. Burgundy is a special place.
Terre d’Or is a pretty cool place too.

Jawdropping Jon. Wow. Burgundy in the full throttle “Go BIG or go home” style. Very much appreciate your sharing. Roger was there in advance wasn’t he? Hope he’s recovering.

“not a Collector”…then who is!!! [cheers.gif]

RT

What spectacular notes. It took me 5 minutes to stop drooling after I read them. [cheers.gif]

just a great list of tastes and notes. concise and very impressive!

I’m not Jon, but can answer, since I am logged on… They house the older vintages in a different cellar than the one we tasted in. I snooped more than Jon did and I saw a mag of '59 Clos Vougeot, but that was old as i saw in the cellar that we were in, it was mostly recent bottlings.

Epic, just epic.