Burgundy is dead at retail

It can mean many different things to many different people. With Burgundy you have to work twice as hard to sell half as much wine.

Burgundy is dead at retail? I didn’t even know it was sick!

Oh, well, if people don’t want to go out to Binny’s to buy Burgundy, nobody’s going to stop them.

Alan,

When I read this post I think of all the Burgundy that’s already sold and not on the shelves…to me, I would read this as Bordeaux & Napa are dead at retail…look, there’s hundreds of them still on the shelf. Seems to me like someone has already come through and cleared out the Burgundy section…
[stirthepothal.gif]

Merry Christmas!

I can literally spot an Alan thread just by the subject line with nearly 100% accuracy.

I bet he can get his Gallo Hearty Burgundy at most stores.

Again!?!
The continuing tour of the Troll Garden of Eden is kinda “threadbare”.

No need to go that far out, even. For $55, you can find a variety of premier crus from Savigny, Beaune, Pernand (red). Often Pommard. Once in a while Volnay. I think 2014 was the first time I paid over $55 for Ile des Vergelesses in 750, and it was only over $55 if you counted shipping.

But, yeah, there’s value in the wines you list above, for sure. And others from those communes, too. I paid less than $20 for some Bart Marsannay last year that was tasty. Walked in and bought it off the shelf at Vinopolis. I guess they don’t count as retail.

But certainly, even lower appellations from the more reputed producers from the Côte d’Or have gone crazy.

Yep. Doesn’t make any sense to me, but I’m happy to keep buying where the value is, and stay away from wines that have become overpriced. I used to buy a few bottles of Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne every year. But I’ll be buying more Rapet, Rollin, Briailles, Guillemot, Bize, Marechal, Ramonet, etc, instead of paying more the M-G regional wine.

I even recently backfilled 01 and 02 Maurice Ecard premiers crus for under $60.

For many retailers the more desired Burgs never make the shelves. They are sold to known clients.

Doesn’t Binnys stock Burgundy next to the MacDonald?

Lee,

It’s interesting that you mention the Mugneret Gibourg Bourgogne. While it has gone over $50 for the 2016, I still think it crushes California Pinot Noir at the same price, and beats most producers village Burgs.

Not sure where I’ll top out, but I haven’t yet.

Much as I enjoy Alan being smacked around, and it should be done regularly and twice on Christmas Day

A fine Christmas wish indeed.

Yeah, it was the last one to go. And honestly, the only Bourgogne that I ever bought regularly in the first place.

As for the comparisons – California pinot and ‘most producers’ (which I’m taking to mean most quality producers?) village burgs aren’t the competition for my $$$. The competition is a very select few producers’ mostly premier cru wines from mostly Savigny and Pernand with a good sprinkling of Chassagne, Pommard, Beaune, and Volnay. And a few Oregon pinots. And a very few California pinot producers who I feel offer value, usually under $30-35.

[thumbs-up.gif]

There are some amazing burg deals out there. For example, nywines has 2013 Ramonet Clos St. Jean for $49; I’d be hard pressed to find a better pinot at that price point anywhere.

Maltroye makes fantastic Chassagne Montrachet Rouge for around the $40-$55 mark depending on the wine.

Yeah, that was really well played my man!

I know im going to get attacked but it does not change the fact that you cant buy Burgundy on the shelves of Chicago’s biggest wine chain.

It has become an elitist product

It’s the autumnal mead to your bud light.

Bought an 09 Leroy Bourgogne on Saturday for $51.99 at UnCorkIt in Streeterville (Chicago).

Just a smallish corner wine/liquor store.

The fact that some vintners lost 75% of their crop in 2016 could have something to do with it