Burgundy fans...most "red fruited" vintages in the last 15 years?

Most of the time, my taste preferences run toward the red fruited - cherry, strawberry, even red raspberry.

Curious what others’ experiences have been vintage wise (last 15 years or so) on the red vs more dark fruited continuum (blackberry, etc). For example, many of the 08s have been more in the red spectrum for me vs. 05 which is more dark fruited.

I’ve found many of the 10s and 07s to be more red, 09 less so (although my experience is less) and '12 seems to be shaping up as darker by the notes I’ve read.

What about you?

errrr… 96’? but that’s more than 15 yrs…08’ then…

2007 & 2008 from what I’ve tasted.

'11 is the lowest natural alcohol vintage in the last decade or so, and has a very red fruited character. '07 as well.

Some '06’s are very red fruited…

Bertheau 08’s…Lafarge 07’s…crunchy RED Yums!!!

Go to the Jura for stunning light and floral red fruited goodness! flirtysmile

that was my first thought, but not like a bright red fruit like 07.

I think 02 is pretty red fruited too.

Thanks, Robert. Have only tasted a few 11s so far and they do seem to be more red fruited. Good thing since I bought a ton of 11s.

+1 on '07 and I would add '09 as an opposite but also often red fruited. Red fruited vintages are typically warmer, higher yield or wetter.

Vintages like '99 and '05 are more black fruited in their youth.

Good point. Think I’ll check in on some of these to see how they’re progressing.

Good news there…I own both 08 Bertheau and 07 Lafarge champagne.gif

Jura is on my list for exploration. Soon!

So is there a possibility that 99 or 05 will show more red fruited as they mature?

Probably not. In general Burgundy loses it’s black vs red fruit character (and fruit character in general) as it matures. It becomes more about earth and other tertiaries with less discernable fruit.

Although, 'tis also a question of how long you wait and for which wines. 76 Clos des Ruchottes-Chambertin and 83 Musigny (two weeks ago) were as red fruited as any 07 is today…

For me this is a flawed question. It is the climat that is typically red or blue fruited not the vintage.

I believe both vintage and terroir impact the fruit character.

I agree with 06 and 08 being red fruited, and maybe 07 too. None of the last four vintages strike me as very red fruited, though 11 might get there if it loses the herbaceous character.

Per Anthony’s point, one can find red fruited wines in every vintage, too.

I agree with Brady, sorry Anthony. 99 and 12 (for instance) are very dark-fruited vintages. Many wines in Beaune (again for instance) are almost black-fruited in those years, yet red in almost every other. In 12 only Corton is largely red-fruited from Côte de Beaune.

Bill, I think maybe we are using different terminology. Yes, 99 is a black coloured vintage but for me red fruited relates to the flavour rather than the colour i.e. the flavour of strawberries and rasberries rather than plums and cherries.

Bill, I think maybe we are using different terminology. Yes, 99 is a black coloured vintage but for me red fruited relates to the flavour rather than the colour i.e. the flavour of strawberries and rasberries rather than plums and cherries. For example amoureuse for me is always red fruited.