Burgundy bitten

If " good priced, yummy burgs" don’t impress your friends, keep the Burgs and get new friends.

I wrestled with how to express it for a while as well.

And I think it’s where the idea of terroir has to differentiate between the terroir of site(soil, climate, hydrology, vines, etc.) vs. and the idea of terroir as a cultural influence. Think modern viticulture oriented towards Brix accumulation vs. farmers circa 1600 and the lack of options they had. And a similar dynamic for elevage in modern cellars vs. elevage 400 years ago(I do love my forklift though.)

A friend recently texted me that he had one of 2012s blind, he loved the wine, but felt bad that he had called it as an “androgynous” Burgundy. To me it was an affirmation of what we’re doing. I hope to evoke thoughts of Burgundy with the structure, acidity, and lower alcohols but still have the essential personality be unique to Whistling Ridge.

That said, I was really excited that Fu put the Heritage in with the Liger-Belair and Fourrier wines.

That advice is so good it shouldn’t be free.

That was so eye opening!.. and why i went and bought some! :slight_smile:

i then blinded it for people with a pair of dujacs, and everyone called the Heritage pinot old world burg. amazing…

That’ll be huge when CT auto translates foreign languages.

Wait, so after all those 1970s grand cru Burgundies that Eric has shared with us, it was a lowly 2012 Villages that did you in? Ask not for whom the bell tolls…

I know where you’re coming from though. I had been into wine for a over a decade before I had that one bottle of Burgundy that made me stop and think…wait, this is like another kind of drink entirely than my other favorite wines, it makes them seem crude. For me it was a 2002 Volnay 1er cru (Pousse d’Or). Now I’m definitely down the rabbit hole, the hit rate on Burgundy is still like half or a quarter of other wine regions even when you know what you’re doing, but when they hit…

Miss our DC wine dinners, can’t wait to resume them when we’re on the other side of this awful pandemic. Have plenty of Burgundy, semi-affordable ones, to share once that happens.

Not sure. Now that I am retired, I don’t have a billable hour rate. [cheers.gif]

Spent another small fortune today (for my standards) and only curiosity has bitten me so far. I’m not sure whether I want to love these wines or be disappointed in them. I know what my wallet thinks, though.

What did you buy?

Yeah I know. Another friend shared a delicious Ponsot. I think part of the issue is the format. I like the group tastings to learn and get a overall sense of things. On the other hand, my wife and I each had a glass of this wine. The next night, my wife and daughter were drinking cabernet and so I pulled the cork on this and drank the rest over 2 hours. I had more time to focus and experience the wine. More time to contemplate the wine. And the fact that I have 2 more bottles was and remains something to look forward to.