Burgundy & Beaujolais, not impressed

I doubt you’ll hear many complaints from the peanut gallery on this one.

Thanks for everyone taking time to write in this thread, i know i make sweeping statements but sorry thats just who i am. If i was a wine I would be a six month old Zin 17% alcohol that would rip your throat out on the way down !!

One thing that is very relevant here is that i have been drinking for 30 years and i actually started very much in France, i always had a love for Bordeaux that i maintain to this day, i love Champagne and am very keen on Rhone wines in general. I think my dislike for Burgs is deep rooted. Even thirty years ago when i was probably buying wines that are now considered out of reach i still never got into them. I cant recall Burg names but in the early days wines like Chateau Palmer, Cos’d estournal, LLC etc were easily available and affordable so im guessing the burgs i tried were good quality.

I discovered US wines in my second go around in this hobby so they are actually more of a destination than a starting point, if you like big bold Bordeaux where do you go ? i know that a Chateau Palmer has far more finesse than a lot of Cali wines but as ive demonstrated numerous times im fine with trading delicacy and finesse for flavour and power

Okay, never mind. You should, indeed, stay in California, and you have the right avatar. Drink what you like, but its probably best not to post about what you don’t like after having too much of it.

LOL, probably correct sir, but then what would we talk about ?

Actual wine?

Ouch.

Probably needed one of these :wink:

Like listening only to Coldplay :angry:

kid%20giving%20the%20finger.jpg

The Stonestown Mall Olive Garden? Wow, I’ve always had great meals there, and make it a point to visit every time I’m in the Bay Area. Much better than Vallejo or Palo Alto. Try the Five Cheese Ziti al Forno. It’s somewhat pricey, but that’s because it has five different cheeses.

Five.

If you think a 2009 Vosne Romanee from Jadot is too old and tired, I highly recommend that you stop drinking Burgundy. My guess is that, if anything, it is a decade too young. Stick with what you like. Burgundy is not for you.

[resizeableimage=400,250]HotDigitalNews.com is for sale | HugeDomains

Shocked!

RT[/quote]
Like listening only to Coldplay :angry:[/quote]

During the Super Bowl of all things!!!

Alan - for how long have you been serious about wine? For many of us, the path to AFWE wines starts with high alcohol fruit bombs (for me, Marquis Phillips and a few other Parker darlings). I can think of very few people, Beaunehead apparently being one, who sprang from the womb with a taste for fine burgundy.

EDIT - missed your post wherein you mentioned this being a 30 year enthusiasm. Guess if all paths lead to Burgundy yours is very long and winding.

I think the burgs and such that I drink now are better wines (taking Terry Theise’s advice and eschewing relativism) but I thoroughly enjoyed what I was drinking at each step of the journey and don’t generally try to troll those at other stages and/or with different tastes. [drinkers.gif]

I agree with the thought that no '09 burg should be brown or tired. I’d expect most 2009 villages burgs at this point to be tight and perhaps to show acidic and closed. As for gamay, some people just don’t like it. It is a grape that shows very “grapey” in its wines. However, if you want bright acid and intense mineral, it definitely has that in spades. Didn’t catch whose Chiroubles you tried. I don’t buy much from that cru, but Coquelet can be seriously good.

Where I think you go wrong is by attributing the entire range of positive wine descriptors (or a good deal thereof anyway) to new world wines and declare that to be lacking in old world wines. You have made these sort of broadstroke generalizations in the past IIRC. For instance, many with an old world palate expect to find much, much, much more of the following in European wines:

• mineral
  • bright acid
  • interesting non-fruit flavors
  • complexity

The typical criticism of old world wines is that they are missing fruit intensity (obviously this is just a generalization for the sake of discussion, there are plenty of effusively fruity old world wines and austere new world wines).
The typical corollary is that new world wines have:

• ample fruit
  • more flavor
  • intensity
    The criticism is that they are simple and sometimes anonymous. They lack acid balance, minerality and complexity. Sometimes it can be hard to tell the grape let alone the place.

But these are mainly just generalizations. I won’t say that they are completely untrue, and if one has a preference for one list over the other I think he or she will tend to be more put off by the corresponding failings.

That said, that is not a great burg upon which to base your findings. This experiment has been repeated here many times, and I don’t know if anyone ever changed their mind outright. That said, there have been some transformations over time.

[snort.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Holy shit. They make the 5 cheese Ziti with actually 5 real cheeses? I find that hard to believe. I don’t think there are 5 cheeses! I asked Alan and he said there is American and Swiss and Velveeta and Cheeze Wiz in a can, and that’s it! How can you make 5 cheese Ziti with only 4 cheeses???

I think your history on this board is largely to blame for many of the responses you’re getting here, Alan. At least, that’s my perspective, as I didn’t find your OP to be offensive at all. We’re all entitled to our opinions, and you weren’t mean/nasty/condescending to anybody, so I don’t see where the problem is in this thread.

With respect to the part of your post I put in bold, above, you should try the following, if you haven’t already:
German Riesling
Chenin Blanc from Vouvray

and, knowing Robert, Chinon was probably a serious rec… But, I’m not convinced you’d like Cabernet Franc from Chinon, so it’s not a recommendation I’d give to you.

But Metallica has performed with the San Francisco Symphony and Frank Zappa wrote some very high quality symphonic works.

Alan, we agree on Donald Trump.