Burgundy | Baie par Baie "technique"

I talked to a winemaker about this who has been experimenting with pedicelle cuvees since 2006. He told me he stopped because the same efect can be obtained by mastering the extraction with vendange entière at a much lower cost. Christophe Perrot-Minot is doing this to all his cuvées since a couple of years and I can only say that his wines often impress with silkyness in texture combined with a certain density and this combination is quite rare.

Not personally. I think Jasper Morris did, I’ll fwd this to him.

In fact I haven’t tasted at Moron Garcia

David Duband pioneered the pedicel thing quite a while back

They used to destem by hand the three barrels worth of Musigny at Domaine de la Vougeraie but it simply isn’t workable, and anyway they have moved to whole-cluster. Thibault Liger Belair tried it on a small lot one year, with a few mates and some wine to carry them through - but by 2 in the morning they hadn’t got very far but their refreshment had.

All good geek fun but frankly pretty irrelevant to the final result - apart perhaps from removing the major stems as William explains above.

I did a zoom on this subject for 67 Pall Mall the other day - should be findable on their (or my) website.

Thank you, Jasper. That was really interesting.