Burghound Issue 53: 2012 CDN burgundy

Interesting perspective on CdB. You have my attention. Would you be willing to elaborate on where CdB triumphed in 12 and lagged in 10? I declined a chance to taste the 12’s at chez Lafarge out of respect for the small volumes. Now you have me thinking I should have indulged!

I’m quite sure there will be a report before the end of Feb, Paul :wink:

I’ll keep my eyes on your site. Thanks Bill! Hope those '93s are treating you well in the mean time!!!

Had the '05, '09 and '10 all recently, they are all great, maybe 94-95 pts from me with upside.

The '09 is the most accessible of the trio at present, and yes, they will all live for a long time…

Tasted the 2005 shortly after release.
One of my favorite 2005 Red Burgs.
Didn’t buy it because it was the most tannic Red Burg I’ve ever had (And I’m a codger).
The fruit level was up to the tannins, but truly, don’t touch for 25+ years!!!

TTT

never too early to start speculating a vintage, right? newhere

It didn’t seem like Meadows was that bullish on '12, which is interesting to see.

BTW, count me in as a de la Tour fan. The Morin I’ve never had, but the CV and CV VV always show well in big tastings. I’m a big fan of the 88 and 90. If any one has any 91s, feel free to share :wink:

The 2012 i tasted (barrel) were classic burg. I will buy even withe the steep prices.

Well, Paul, I wasn’t offered a chance to taste the 12s, but I insisted and could taste just one - the plain Volnay.
My impression was very positive: higher concentration than the 11s but very good freshness too.
By the way: I liked the 2011s chez Lafarge a lot.

He also claimed in an earlier issue that 2011 was better than 2009, at which point he lost all credibility with me.

Frederik. 2012 reds will only be released by SAQ in 2015 here in Quebec.

A friend of mine just e-mailed the Release Price for Jadot Musigny 2012 is around $ 930 whereas SAQ still have the 06, 07 and 2011 at around $ 600.

I’m surprised noone has mentioned Tanzer’s review of '12 Burgs that came out last night. His reviews are very favorable and a glance at the big names from the CdB compare very favorably with his reviews of the 2010 vintage.

“The 2012s are fuller and much more pliant than the 2010s, which tend to show great inner-mouth tension and less easygoing sweetness. For me, 2010 is a greatmillésime du terroir and a potentially very long-lived vintage, while 2012 offers more charm and early appeal…I suspect that over the next decade the 2012s will give more pleasure than the 2010s, and many Burgundy lovers will prefer them.”

The way I read this is 10 is a better vintage but I better think of something nice to say about the 12’s.

Can you tell me which issue? I’d love to go and read that myself only b/c his response to 2012 was interesting, and short of what I thought he would say.

Beginning of 49, last paragraph on page 5

Yep,

Sounds similar to some of the the things they have said previously also about '07 and '11… rolleyes

Millésime du siècle! You heard it here first. [berserker.gif]

anytime I see “charm and early appeal” it makes it sound like a negative for burgundy.

anytime I see “charm and early appeal” it makes it sound like a negative for burgundy.[/quote]

just like when an english merchants says that its ‘a drinking vintage’, those words scare the shit out of me and my cellar!

MT

I’ve been to three of the London EP tastings, so far. Quality-wise, I’ve been impressed across the board. I agree with Kevin’s earlier assessment of a combination of 09 and 10. Good fruit, good freshness, and plenty of structure. I think those who are down-talking the vintage are probably annoyed by something else, like say, the pricing.

As I alluded to in an earlier thread “Backfill Burgs, Baby!” I am buying very little of the big names. I just think they are too expensive for me, and many are highly allocated, anyway. I am not deluding myself into believing they will get cheaper.

I have been buying quite a lot of selected CdB wines, because they were amazing, priced reasonably, and supply is so limited. It is a case of buy now or never see them again.

Overall, I’m buying more than in 2011. Just different wines.

!00% spot on…lol.

I’m anti charm and appeal nowdays…