Bucklin (Old Hill) with TN

Just popped the Rosé, wonderful wine for a category I don’t normally drink. Pale Salmon color, light watermelon aromas, lively and spicy (rather than fruity) palate.

I never miss the “Ancient Field Blend” and Will’s Grenache is one of the very best anywhere, IMO.

Old Hill Ranch is a treasure that is tended with loving care.

The first time I heard of the “Compagni Portis Vineyard” was from Bucklin.

Nowadays, most of the time I hear of bottlings from the vineyard is from Carlisle and Bedrock.

Here’s a 2009 vid-yo from Bedrock Wine Company on the Compagni Portis Vineyard…

\

Uv-iEGdD1e4

Just received a three pack of the ‘15 Old Hill Ranch Ancient Field Blend, ‘15 Upper 5th Vineyard Ancient Field Blend, and ‘16 Old Hill Ranch Grenache. Any guidance on drinking windows would be much appreciated.

My only previous experience was with three bottles of the ‘07 Bambino, all of which seemed affected by brett. Those kept me away for the last 5-6 years, but the positive reports here have me curious enough to try again.

Andrew, I’m far from an expert, but have enjoyed all of them young. That said, I’d say you bought the ones that will likely age well. Give each one a try starting with upper 5th and save the rest. If you like them there’ll always be more where it came from and without the stress of ordering ASAP.

Wanted to call out some above-and-beyond customer service by Will in a response to a minor shipping mishap.

Also wanted to report on an above-and-beyond wine: The 2017 Bambino, which might the best “entry level” zin I’ve had (and I love Bedrock, Carlisle, Turley, etc.). A middleweight with great polish and a lot of floral and peppery complexity already. Just delicious and a tremendous value.

Related: Anyone have any typical drinking-window guidance on their Otto’s Grenache and Anne’s Upper Fifth Field Blend bottlings? Or any sense of what they’re typically like, stylistically?

Well, I’ve always liked the wines Will makes. Didn’t know he was making a White. Given how great the Whites from producers are like Bedrock and Carlisle, I must try it.
I do have one problem with his wines…“Old Hill”… that one hits a little close to home. Where’s your sensitivity, folks??? :slight_smile:
Tom

Will’s Bambino is always one of the best “value” bottlings out there- a really nice window into one of the great vineyards in California. The Upper Fifth is a little triangle of old vines on slightly different soils across the highway from the ranch (we actually took the fruit back in 2009 and 2010 for our Old Vine prior to the Bucklin purchase of the property). It tends to be o the elegant side and would be the one to open earlier. Otto’s is from an amazingly, ankle-twistingly, rocky mixed block of younger Grenache and definitely is on the more structured side- will definitely reward some time on its side IMO. Seeing Will’s thumbprint on the evolution of the ranch has been great to see and between Otto’s, the rosé, and the mixed whites a few more offerings coming out. Then again, I am pretty darn biased!

Well that certainly qualifies as an expert opinion.

Thanks, Morgan!