BRUSSELS SPROUTS is the new kale

Good to hear.

Our version the other night

IMG_2697.jpg

Thank goodness. I love Brussels sprouts so much better!

Re-made it yesterday, such tasty. This time with 1kg brussel sprouts and aceto balsamico by AMERIGO. Even my wife who hates cabbage in all variations loved it.

P.S. the aceto balsamico from the the famous restaurant Amerigo 1934 in Savigno is such good. A real aceto and not too sweet.

P.S.

BTW, don’t miss the lemon peel at the end. The lemon peel clearly adds more complexity and of course freshness to the dish.

We have some small sprouts coming from the farm this week and might try this prep, though I normally don’t put sugar of any sort, including honey, on vegetables. Jonathan has very strong feelings about sweet and savory not meeting.

We’ve been eating tons of brussel sprout leaves recently, which have been fantastic and are very inexpensive since they are normally just thrown away. We blanch them quickly, then sautee in butter with plenty of cracked black pepper.

For what it’s worth, I like kale just fine when it’s cooked properly. Tuscan kale blistered in the wok, fully cooked but still tender, gets us through the winter.

I love sweetness in vegetables, by roasting in the oven, roasting in a griddle pan or adding 1 tsp sugar for example to carrots. Fair to say in case of carrots from the own garden or farm maybe you don’t need it. But in Berlin its hard to find high flavor carrots, so sugar lifts the carrots.

BTW, my honey is from the countryside, as my neighbour has bees.

A sprinkle of vinegar at the end will bring out some bright sweetness.

Sprinkle of lime juice for Victor, these wok charred units are fit for a noodle shop.
1AE41908-6FD7-4EB7-AE31-616BCAA4D389.jpeg

My Mom used to steam them then pan fry. I loved them.

Lima beans on the other hand, my Dad forced me to eat those until I gagged. Ah the joys of childhood!