Brunello di Montalcino that is bright, light and transparent - recommendations?

Gianni Brunelli

L’Aietta. Cracked a 2106 last night. Translucent, red fruited, ethereal. There seems to be a young generation of Tuscan winemakers who are really pushing in this direction. I love them.

Or Rosso di Montalcino?

Definitely try a Rosso. Some great recommendations so far, I’d suggest Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona. The ‘19 is already drinking well and is a very nice expression of Sangiovese.

I 100% agree Rossi are the better way to go, but I do think plenty of Chianti can fit in. Just many that also dont. Have you had anything from Tenuta di Nozzole?

I would probably add these. I am particularly thinking of the 2016s
Castello Romitorio
Poggio Antico
Uccelliera
Fanti

Chianti Classico would fit the bill, as long as it’s a traditional estate that doesn’t use exotic varieties in the blend. There are producers in Montalcino fiddling around with non-Sangiovese varieties, but many fewer than in CC, where it is legal.

2 Likes

I uncorked a 2010 Fanti [Brunello di Montalcino] and have been sipping this 14.5% abv’er out of a variety of stems the last couple of nights. I haven’t had this producer before, and this DOCG is one I buy only in the big years, so I don’t have a sense of where Fanti truly sits in the world of Brunello styles. Overall, I like it and it is in fine form today showing saddle, rhubarb, blood/iron on the bouquet which leads into a medium bodied cherry palate. Texturally tannins are smoothed out but this 2010 doesn’t glide around the mouth; acidity feels balanced with the cedar and fruit intensity. Based on how it developed over 24 hours open, it has plenty of life ahead of it, perhaps the rest of the decade. Although this might be a ‘value’ BdM, purchased on release for $40ish on the shelf of Whole Foods Markets in my region, I consider it a lukewarm value overall, and waffle between the B+ or A- grade Maybe I’d feel better if I was iron clad certain it had 20-30 years of development / complexity ahead of it, but without more experience / consumption of the name, I won’t reload on 2016 at prevailing prices.

1 Like

Thanks for the note. I haven’t had the 2010, but there are a few differences worth noting.

2016 had slightly more acidity than the 2010 (5.4g/l compared to 5.32g/l), while the sugar content in the 2016 was significantly less, roughly 1/6 the amount of the 2010.

Obviously 2010 is a great vintage as well, but it was just after 2010 that they really started to decrease the sugar content, and I think that may be all the difference today. While 2016’s higher acidity I think might also be a big factor.

If you haven’t had the 2016, I would say it is worth a go. Interestingly enough, the 2018 has similar numbers to 2016. I have not had the 2018 though.

Some good recommendations here for Brunello (Biondi Santi is phenomenal, though oh so pricey). I do think trying Chianti Classico might be something you want to experiment with as you will find the Sangiovese Piccolo (Chianti) clone to be generally less intense than the Sangiovese Grosso clone used for Brunello. Brunellos also are typically aged longer too. Chianti is absolutely different wine though so prepare yourself. Also think if you are looking for high acid, red fruit driven wines that Etna Rosso may be another good option to try.

1 Like

This was a lighter style Brunello last night.

2016 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de’ Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino

Agree with Conti Costanti and Gianni Brunelli. How about Cerbaiona? Haven’t had the newest vintages of the Brunello under the new ownership but I’ve always felt this to be one of the more elegant and finessed expressions of Sangiovese. Costs a pretty penny but for about a third of the price can get the Rosso which is fantastic.

I don’t have a whole lot of experience with it, but have had some Vino Nobile di Montepulciano over the years that might fit the bill.

The 2013 was enjoyable, glad I picked up at least one bottle of the 16…

1 Like

Try out Casa Raia, salvioni rosso or bdm, Santa giulia, Tassi Francia.