Bruce the Returner's Birthday Bash Recap - You Name It - We Drank It

Nick, what I have been trying to do is dig up some old threads from the first year of Wine Berserkers. It’s interesting to look back at the 2009 pages, as there are some distinct cultural things going on. Less posts per thread, way more TNs than any other kind of thread and not a lot of back and forth, unless it involved Parker or similar angst.

I think this past year may have been the last. Twelve bashes and we may have hit the wall.

Getting old sucks

But most of these were definitely fake, right? Rudy wines, no?

What brings you to that conclusion?

Did I think some were fake - absolutely and therefore a number of “DQ” wines.

A number of the wines I supplied which I purchased in the early to mid nineties.

The old RC’s and some of the older Champagnes were provided by the person who bought Heublein’s inventory of several tens of thousands of bottles when they got out of the business decades ago.

I’ve not known Rudy to fake Champagne, especially those from 80’s and 90’s of which nearly twenty were listed in my post.

The '26 Bollinger Jero was surely fake with the signature truffle profile from the Italian Champagne fraudster (I forget his name).

Well, it’s not a conclusion. It’s a question and a sincere one. But you were part of a group that drank fake wines for years without recognizing it, sounds like this was a tasting for that group, and the wines in this list were widely faked. ‘29 DRC, ‘61 Petrus. Those are Rudy’s calling card.
A

Also - here is an article from wine spectator that implies that there was fake champagne in Rob Rosania’s collection, so I’m not sure you’re “it’s champagne and those weren’t faked” argument holds up.

You’re another one of the people that wasn’t there but has definitive “knowledge”.

Never said “it’s Champagne and those weren’t faked”.

Did you miss this? “The '26 Bollinger Jero was surely fake with the signature truffle profile from the Italian Champagne fraudster (I forget his name)”.

DQ was sometimes the PC way of me saying I thought they were fakes.

Had you been to some of these dinners you would know that I took heat for stating that I thought some of the wines weren’t authentic.

Do you really want to compare the odds of '47 Krug being faked versus '90 La Grande Dame, '90 Billecart-Salmon or '90 Taittinger CdC?

Thanks Ray. That’s helpful.

A

here is your note on the ‘26 Jero from above:

'26 Bollinger Jero - overwhelming notes of truffle oil on the nose not dissimilar to the Bollingers from the same era that we drank a few months back. A hint of effervescence on the tongue with a golden color with brown hues. I can’t get past the truffle oil notes which are too intense for me. Good minus

No reference to fake. You thought the wine was good minus.

Thank you for the notes, Ray.