Breville Sommelier Decanter

It’s also been discussed here ad nauseam but that doesn’t make me interested.

Decanting is overrated! I prefer to taste on fresh open, and again as the wine gets oxygen. 1hr, 1 day, etc later. Why rush it?

There is no doubt that decanting the wine opens at much faster than simply opening the bottle and letting it sit in the bottle.

The same argument of whether this is worth it or not could be said for all such devices, including a normal decanter. Everyone seems to have their preferences, and I don’t think any of them are more right than others.

I prefer not to decant any wines but to let them open up slowly and observe them over a long period of time. But most of my friends don’t have such patience :slight_smile:

IMVHO “normal” decanter is perfect compromise. Carefully decant. Pour off glass no 1. Sip, evaluate.
Repeat at various intervals. Granted if timing is an issue e.g. w.r.t meal service some foreknowledge and or luck is required but heck that’s half the fun.

Ahm. Because some people like to time it with the meal… and if one is serving guests, with multiple courses and multiple bottles, they may not have all the time during the day to cook and to perfectly time the opening of each bottle to gain what they perceive as optimal aeration?

Seems like a device that could come in handy, dependent upon the situation, but I’d love to see a post-Christmas sale where its offered at say $350 instead of $500.

Go to an aquarium shop and buy a cheap air pump and a piece of hose, feed hose into decanter.

As a side note, Breville does not repair or sell parts to service centres. All they will do is have you send your broken product to the east coast (at your cost) and if they approve your claim they send you a new one.