Breakage Using Pulp Wine Shippers

Same. Dozens of deliveries in pulp with no breakage yet.

No breakage in pulp. I seem to recall one in styro years ago, but I can’t remember with precision

One of my retailers uses the 3 part pulp system and so far so good with me over at least 50 cases.

Dennis,
I remember your unusual situation, one bottle of six of 1990 Ch Margaux in a vertical styro 12 pack did leak, not break. None of the other five 1990 Margaux bottles were leaking, nor broken, nor were any of the other older six bottles in the box damaged. I had inspected the bottles prior to getting them to the shipping company.
You theorized the box must have been dropped so hard that it moved the cork up and the wine leaked as a result.
You emailed me the temperatures were cool during the transit time.
I never understood how just one bottle in the styrofoam box was effected.
I did speak with the shipping company on your behalf stating that obviously something damaged that bottle during shipping.
As per the above title, there was no breakage in the styrofoam.

My gleefully destructive canines have broken more bottles than FedEx/UPS, no matter what they have been packed in.

I don’t like pulp shippers. I had 6 bottles where the pulp shippers heavily damaged the labels. They were 2 part labels, one upper and one lower. I couldn’t replace the bottles because they were pretty rare. I got compensated from K & L wine. Now I don’t buy from anyone who won’t ship in styrofoam.

I’ve had one breakage in all my shipments. I use wine shippers for my smaller 500ml cider bottles and that was the only time I had pan issue (I add extra paper wrapping, but apparently it wasn’t enough). The customer received a full refund…

Exactly - if the package is handled with care, no problem. However, not always the case. In the past, the carriers blamed breakage on the packaging, but I’ve not had too much trouble with claims lately.

In the past, we had a high incidence of breakage with 12 pack pulp stand-ups. Always the bottles in the corners. We switched to lay-downs for 12s and it is definitely better, but not perfect. Nearly always, it’s the bottles in the lower corners that break. For that reason, I always pack the lowest cost / most easily replaceable bottles in those positions. Or burgundy bottles that don’t extend as far into the corners. Breakage in sizes below 12 is rare.

I recently had one bottle in a 6 pack pulp shipper broken/crushed by FedEx.

After watching my FedEx guy unload 6 cases from his truck recently, I’m surprised I haven’t ever had any breakage. He wasn’t exactly gentle.

None whatsoever, now fingers crossed as we have multiple shipments coming in the next few weeks.

Zero breakage over 25 year with styro or pulp. Probably 200 cases in from all over the country and several dozen shipped out… Styro is a much bigger mess to deal with. I hope to only see pulp.

None whatsoever, now fingers crossed as we have multiple shipments coming in the next few weeks.

Severe mishandling can break bottles in any wine shipper, regardless of material. Having used both major US carriers, we see somewhat lower breakage rates with FedEx than UPS. Curiously we have a few customers who have had multiple issues, and other high volume customers with not a single one – may be due to randomness, but I wonder if there aren’t certain individuals out there more prone to mishandling packages in some locations.

We started 10 years ago with styro, which several customers summarily rejected due to environmental concerns so we switched to pulp. With pulp we saw breakage rates of 1-2% over several years. Awhile back we decided to switch to molded clear plastic, which cut our damage rates in half (and provide a better presentation of the product). We continue to evaluate solutions to reduce damage rates even further, but despite our best efforts we simply can’t control how the packages are handled en route.

Therein lies the rub…My regular UPS driver is a really good guy. My regular FedEx driver would toss a baby on the driveway.

Never had breakage in either Styro or pulp. Had 3 bottles frozen in styrofoam years ago, but that’s the only prob I’ve ever had.

Not sure it’s relevant, merely anecdotal observation, but I’ve worried about the pulp shippers that hold the bottles vertical. A number of the pulp shippers have arrived with the bottom floor of a bottle cavity punched out allowing the contained bottle a much larger range of motion. I’ll pay attention to which bottle shapes “punch out” the bottom of a slot.

We’ve been approached on using them but I didn’t like the idea. Mainly because very few would be recycled. I have reused one from a customer and agree it’s good packaging. Just not environmentally friendly as pulp.

My gleefully destructive canines have broken more bottles than FedEx/UPS, no matter what they have been packed in.

My dog has left all things wine alone but does a mean number on a roll of toilet paper.