Bottle of Pain III Schoolhouse at Cannondale Wilton Ct Sept 26th 6pm- ONE SPOT OPEN !

If we are doing Bordeaux, it needs to be old – certainly older than 1990. I have a range of 1982s, and a few older bottles – like 1966 Palmer.

If we move away from Bordeaux (due to lack of aged bottles), I can do fun older Napa – like '78 Diamond Creek, '74 Heitz, or more current Napa wines like Harlan, Maya, etc.

It may be easier for me to help fill out flights once we get some critical mass on the themes/flights.

I just found this thread and would love to join if there is a spot available.
You could put me down at Dan’s end of the table.
I have a few choices that fit this theme, but all would be CA.

Hi Jim
Right now it looks like we are full with 10 people. I am awaiting final confirmation on date from 2 people so things could easily change. I will put you down as 1st on the waiting list, and I should be able to let you know shortly if there is room. [cheers.gif] Jonathan

Several people have Bordeaux being offered up that go back as far as 95 or 96 for 2nd growths. I think that is old enough to be enjoyable. I think my 02 first growth is probably too young. What do others think ?

Jim
Michael cant make it, so you are in

95/96 can be good. Still quite young, but the good ones are fun. The 2002 is (for my palate) too young. If we can start lining up which 95/96 wines, then perhaps we can pair them with their 1982s … which is fun.

What about those of us who have no Bordeaux? Need to know soon since most of my wine is off site!

Steve – I think Jonathan was thinking a Bordeaux flight and a Napa flight. But agree, better to agree soon on the plan.

I’m thinking Harlan or SQN. I know your not a big Bryant fan.

If you don’t mind bringing a Harlan I would truly appreciate it as I don’t get to try their wines very often, whereas I am on the SQN list.

You are correct, exactly what I was thinking.

Oldest bordeaux I have is an 89 Sociando, which probably doesn’t qualify as ‘pain’, unless you don’t like bell pepper. For the 90s, I have 95 Gruaud Larose, 95 Grand Puy Lacoste, 96 Leoville Poyferre, 98 Canon la Gaffeliere, 98 Peby Faugeres. Fair amount of 2000 as well.

I’ll bring an 05 Harlan

It is on my calendar. -My oldest Bordeaux is 2000 so I guess I am in the Napa crowd. I could bring any of the following:
'92 Togni
'96 Insignia
'01 Pride Reserve Cab

Everything else is a bit younger. If younger is desired, I have a whole range of the Reserve Cabs and Clarets but the "01 is likely the best of them.[dance-clap.gif]

Ok here’s what we have so far, I think this is going to be a real nice line up.

1: Drew + 1- Philipponnat Clos Des Goisses and 100 pont SQN
3:Andrew- 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste
4:Jonathan=1996 Leoville Poyferre
5:Jim Cohen-2001 Pride Reserve Cabernet
6:Dan-2006 Chateau Haut-Brion Blanc
7:Steve Mathessen-1982 Leoville Poyferre
8:Jim Dove-1999 Chave hermitage
9:Phil-tbd
For those who haven’t posted your wines, please do so at your earliest convenience. Ideally it might be good to have one more Cali wine and two more French wines. I will also bring a nice sauterne to end with.

bump

I will bring the 1982 Leoville Poyferre to provide a mini vertical

Sorry but I’m going to have to pass on this. Doctor just put me on medication and no drinking for the next month

Unless there’s an objection, I’ll bring 1999 Chave Hermitage.

Jim

A wonderful choice. Thanks Jim !

Just need to check with my friend Phil who’s not on the board what he will bring. I will give him a call.