Boston-area -- Troquet's Summer Wine Sale, Wednesday July 25th

Ok- Inquiring minds want to know… What gems did you find on their sale, and any general notes ?

Thanks everyone attending, and especially Steve for getting their early and cherrypicking some good ones (sorry Angelo!).

We opened:

~1967 Château Latour à Pomerol (375mL)
~1990 Giacomo Borgogno & Figli Barolo Riserva
~1970 Château Brane-Cantenac
~1973 Château Gloria
~1975 Château Troplong Mondot
~1975 Château Beychevelle
~1975 Château Batailley
~1971 Château Talbot
~1975 Château Talbot
~1975 Château Meyney
~1978 Château Gruaud Larose
~1982 Château Latour Grand Vin
~1981 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne
~1986 Château d’Yquem (375mL)

BTW, the '82 Latour, a 100 pointer with an current auction value of $1962, was the most expensive wine of the evening at $200. However, that ridiculous price is explained by it having a low fill and bad cork. But still very enjoyable.

Video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkTD4TEhxsy/

You forgot my “let’s just taste this and see…” 1973 Chateau Gloria St. Julien … always enjoy finding the diamonds in the rough! thanks for letting me indulge! [cheers.gif]

Adding to this post because I just saw Jonathan’s request for some notes:

The stand-outs for me were the lighter and more acidic Margaux and Gloria St. Julien, and I fell in love with the depth and herbal aromas in the 1975 Talbot, and the 1978 Gruaud Larose. The Latour was a treat to try and a beautiful wine, but I didn’t have an ethereal experience with it. And I wish I could have sat with the Cote-Rotie and sipped it slowly all night (it probably needed some more years to truly express itself). I wish the d’Yquem was slightly more subtle for my personal palate – I don’t know enough about the vintages, but if I had to guess, 86 may have been a bit warmer year, as the wine tasted a bit riper than I expected.

Oh, right, you added that late after I already took my video.

And what’s with Chris selling our Chablis to someone other group lol? We totally ran out of wine!

We had fun too tonight. Great wines and it was a pleasure to meet Kevin. Thanks to Jud for hosting us and to Kevin for sending some great pours to our table.

OMG Carlos, I may have to post a tasting note, and I rarely post tasting notes!

Thanks for the notes Alicia. I appreciate it. Sounds like an amazing line up. Looking forward to dining there next month. Was there any consensus on WOTN, or was there such an embarrassment of riches that it was hard to pick ?

Steve and I actually went again last night, since board member Don Myers from Philly was in town on business (lol, is 4 times in 3 weeks too many for me?). Jud, Carlos, Oscar and friends were at another table too. Chris said someone did glean the wine selection before our two tables got there, so I don’t know what we missed out on.

Out of my four wine sale meals, our final bottle last night, a total science experiment of a 1974 California Zinfandel, had been sitting there lonely and ignored by everyone since the first night (after a few visits, some bottles start to look like old friends!), but it turned out to be the best of all in my mind.

We were finishing up and ready for dessert and Chris asked if we actually wanted to open this final bottle. I’m sure Don and Steve were just humoring me. Come on, Zins are not known for their ageability (although I personally think their potential is greatly under-appreciated).

~1974 Sebastiani Vineyards & Winery Zinfandel Proprietor’s Reserve

WOW!!! Shockingly good, it was in pristine condition, showing very little age. We shared some of it blind with Jud et al, and they thought it was a lovely Burgundy!

Paid through the nose for it too: $25 !!! (no zeros)

In addition, we opened (all good):

~1996 Domaine Billaud-Simon Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos ($35)
~1966 Château Gruaud Larose ($30 for 375mL; thought was '70 until read cork)
~1969 Inglenook Vineyards Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon ($25 for 375mL)
~1970 Château Phélan Ségur
~1970 Château Belgrave ($25)
~1975 Château Meyney ($45)

Also tasted some of the following thanks to the other table:
~1966 Château Cos d’Estournel
~1967 Château La Lagune
~1979 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Mouline (low fill)

The least expensive wines of my four wine sale dinners so far, but I think we really did well with these and I will remember that Zin for a long time.
IMG_9390.jpg
IMG_9380.jpg

I’m so jealous right now. Wish a restaurant around me was doing this. I do remember Troquet from a visit years ago, and the wine list was excellent then even with regular pricing.

Boston road trip!!!

Yes, Troquet’s normal pricing is excellent. Although I was only looking at al the 1961 Bbx on the list last night that I couldn’t afford lol.

Headed to Troquet on Wednesday (in town for business… table for 1 :astonished: can’t wait to check out their Summer Wine Sale!

PM’ed you Christine.

If anyone is interested in meeting Christine and I at Troquet at 7PM Wednesday 7/25, let me know (lol, I think I email everyone already and you are all very lame!).

Well, thanks to weather-induced flight delays, that sucked. [head-bang.gif]

But I hear David K had a nice '71 Ch. Haut-Bailly for $45.

I made it, albeit without KFoley :frowning:
I had a second flight delay and decided to swap my flight to Friday. Great experience. Thanks for the heads-up/suggestions Kevin!
44A76C16-9F1D-46B3-B8E9-BE848DBC6A31.jpeg