Bordeaux 2020 Tasting Notes & Impressions

Also attended the UCGB 2020 tasting in NY (the earlier trade session).

Here are my takes -
First, many Bdx superstars were pouring their wines. We were too squished in to get all fan-girl on any of the Domaine owners.

So much red fruit dominance in flavor and aroma.
Still heavy doses of barnyard/Brett - I don’t like wine that smells like :horse::poop: - none evident in any wines mentioned here.

Domaine de Chevalier Blanc was stunning - quite possibly the most perfectly balanced wine of the day.

Smith Haut Lafitte - another 2020 label edition? White
and red both left me returning at the end for a greedy second pour.

Leoville-Poyferre (special label design) was outstanding. Showed better than some of their earlier score - this could be the sleeper, although is a 2nd growth ever a sleeper?

Standouts from the right bank:
Larcis-Ducasse
Gazin
La Pointe

Saint Estephe:
Chateau de Pez
Phelan Segur

Margaux:
Marquis de Terme
Chateau du Tertre
Rauzan-Segla - stunner

Wallet-Friendly:
Chateau Citran (haut medoc)
Fourcas-Hosten (listrac)

3 Likes

Thank you both for all the info! Did anyone taste:
CarmwaHaut Brion
VCC
Laroque
Croix Labrie
Feytit Clinet
Pichon Lalande and Baron
Malescot St Exupery

Thank you

Most of those were not there, I think. The Pichons were. Baron was terrific with great depth and length. Comtesse I was not as thrilled with although it seemed pretty typical to me for a young PL, just not as complete as 2019 which wowed me last year. BTW, also tasted Lynch Bages but my palate was shot by that time, and I made no note.

1 Like

Thank you! I thought the 2020 Pichon Com was pretty incredible- curious how it evolved.

Funny, I did not see this the first time around. Well, I am in the middle of tasting 2020 in bottle. I think we are close to 500 wines so far, with about 300 or so to go.

These are my barrel notes for 900 wines tasted 2020 Bordeaux, Complete Guide to all the Best 900 Wines Tasted, Rated

I liked the wines in barrel and frankly, they are even better in bottle! From top to bottom, the reds are exceptional, in every appellation and at all price ranges.

The wines are silky, supple, and fresh and a bit lower in alcohol than 19, with many showing better textures.

Pessac Leognan is the only appellation I have tasted completely and almost every wine is at the top of the range and some are higher than the original range. It is either Lalande de Pomerol or Saint Estephe this afternoon. Those of you that follow me on Insta see them.

I hope to be done by the end of February.

4 Likes

The website wine doctor is publishing in bottle review scores this week. It may be worth signing up for a month if anyone hasn’t had the chance to attend any tastings.

1 Like