Blind tasting of 15 Syrahs and 5 Rhone red blends

One of the realities that comes up repeatedly in these tastings Larry is the older wines usually get less love and appreciation when compared to the younger, more fruity, more approachable youthful ones. I’ve become much more grateful for the place that some wines reach upon maturity and tend to rank them higher for doing so. I avoid using scores, but for this tasting, I’m having to decide upon an order of preference in each flight which in many cases is quite different from the group head. Its interesting how many flawed wines are ranked high. The 2 we had with VA got lots of votes for something other than last in the flight. That’s happened with wines with TCA and Brett and highly oxidised bottles as well. I guess there are perfect examples of the ole adage, “Drink what you like and like what you drink” It`s a personal matter and I respect that for each and all. I used to like Brett laden Beaucastels.

I didn’t notice you’re in Santa Barbara so that makes sense. I completely agree, I’ve met Steve a handful of times and he’s a great guy, as is Neil and the rest of the crew at the winery. I’ve always felt that while their single vineyard and flagship wines are mid range in price, they’re IMO, arguably the best QPR in Santa Barbara County. My last 2014 Purisma Red was in the wine fridge and opened it after reading this topic instead of a 2014 Drinkward. Good juice. Have a great weekend.

Huh, I hold Jim Clendenen’s wines in high regard, but I’ve never had the privilege of tasting his Syrah. I’ll have to track one down.

Alex,

Interesting notes. The wonderful thing about SB County in general, and especially with rhones, is that the QPR tends to be pretty high in general. Folks like Beckmen, Stolpman, Andrew Murray, Qupe, Jaffurs, Rideau and so many others.

I dig the Beckmen wines and the folks involved as well - Steve is as passionate about what he does as anyone else around here or anywhere else and it shows in the wines. To me, they do tend to be on the ‘bigger and bolder’ side, a bit less so than Tensley but moreso than say Qupe.

All I can say is keep exploring the area - lots of gems up here IMHO.

Cheers

I can’t honestly say that I can remember ever having a syrah from Jim either - it certainly would be interesting to do so. And Blake, thats mighty high praise for that variety - care to share which vintage, who you were with, etc? Would love to know more . . .

Cheers

Thanks for the reply - and this just goes to show how different we all are in our reactions to every wine indeed. One person’s ‘obvious VA’ is another’s ‘lifted fruit’.

One point on the Whitcraft Syrah - that’s not ‘Matt Dee’s’ vineyard, but should have been Matt Crist’s Vineyard - this is a vineyard now called Cinque Stelle but was originally referred to as Clover Creek, and one that Rick Longoria has sourced from for quite a while, making tempranillo and albarino from The vineyard sits just below the new Brave and Maiden vineyard and tasting room (formerly known as Harmon about 15 years ago) and just above Sunstone’s vineyard.

Cheers.

Best QPR wines in SB are from Qupe IMHO, especially Bob`s entry level Syrah at somewhere around $15.

I know Eric, that’s why I had to throw that in to this conversation as it is N. Rhone, Cote Rotie like and consistently so.

Thanks Larry for the correction. I had it wrong in my mind as Matt D is a close friend of Drake`s and got it confused with the vineyard source. The label doesn’t say Dees. Editing it out.

QPR is a funny thing to discuss on a board where folks clamor over $200 syrahs and $100 mourvedres . . . [stirthepothal.gif] [soap.gif] [swearing.gif] deadhorse

I’m pretty new to this forum but I usually base qpr on price ranges. For example, $20 and under, mid range (around $30-50), $75-100, etc. Yeah, I don’t think I’ve used QPR with anything over a C note.

That’s why listing prices on TN is important for most of us.

Thanks for the tasting notes, Blake!!

What a huge line-up of Santa Barbara County Syrah and Run-time reds (and whites)!!