Biscuits

Will be trying this weekend. Thanx

I’m hosting 30 friends for a dinner Christmas party “brunch” so I’ll try the trick mentioned here of freezing and grating the butter. Needing about 60 large biscuits amongst many other things, so should be a decent undertaking. Thanks for the advice.

Michael,
I make the biscuits and freeze them. They reheat beautifully. I used to make a batch every two weeks for the kids’ breakfast. (my kids have never eaten a cold cereal breakfast in their life) I would alternate between the cheese biscuits and the regular biscuits. The outside actually has a better texture when reheated. Unless you like a particularly doughy flabby biscuit. I find these disgustingly reminiscent of the fast food abominations and do not care for that style of biscuit, but it does have its fans i guess.

Another example of Britain and America being “two great countries divided by a common language” (GBS)
… those aren’t biscuits, they are scones!! [stirthepothal.gif]

Richard, to who’s post are you referring? I can’t find anyone from GB…

In case anyone was wondering, I noticed and subsequently purchased a bag of White Lilly at Wegman’s in PA today. I’ll be making biscuits this Saturday to see just how much of a difference it makes.

TW

Anyone ever add hard cooked egg yolk to their biscuits?

I’m going to Alabama for work next week. I’m planning to pick up a bag of White Lilly while I’m there.

Yes, that’s in one of the biscuit recipes from The Pie and Pastry Bible. I like the richness it adds but eventually decided it wasn’t worth the extra effort.

I was never happy with my results, using various combinations of the Bittman and Lopez-Alt recipes. Got a distinct bump up in quality (most notably in flakiness/lightness) when I read this article and got my hands on some White Lily.

Concordville store?

Thank me later (and yes, this is expensive on a delivered basis, consider buying one less bottle of wine this year and you’ll make up for it).

https://jet.com/search?term=white%20lily

Yes. It was on an aisle end cap between the baking aisle and the cereal.

Awesome!! Just ordered two bags [thankyou.gif]

Fresh Market here in NY sells White Lily, so I always make sure to have a bag on hand. I also freeze and grate my butter. After trying many, many, many recipes and methods, my favorite may be blasphemous. It’s Stella Park’s recipe for Sweet Potato Biscuits made with buttermilk instead of milk. The sweet potato makes for a tender biscuit, while grating the frozen butter gives it the layers and loft.

I’ve adapted this recipe many times to make Scallion & Cheddar biscuits, Caramelized Onion & Gruyere, and so on. They’ve all been met with rave reviews. I also like the fact that I’m sneaking in a vegetable, so they’re “healthy” :wink:

These are Alton Brown’s Southern Biscuits: buttermilk-based with equal parts butter and shortening (I really need to find some lard). I cut up the fats and use my hands to “rub” the pieces into the dry ingredients to get those fluffy layers. I used regular old King Arthur unbleached all purpose flower. They were great.
20171231_094020.jpg
20171231_093956.jpg