Bird-related Wine Corks!

Could the top one be from Egret Wines?Egret Wine – Bambury Wine Collection
Never had it, but label is fairly similar.

1 Like

I see you have Uccelliera already. Castellare di Castellina may have a bird on the cork, but I don’t remember. The labels have them.

http://www.castellare.it/en/castellare-di-castellina/

1 Like

I’ve never paid attention to bird corks. I have an African Grey and a Yellow-Naped Amazon about the same age as your parrot. If I run across any corks, I’ll PM you and arrange to get it to you.

1 Like

Not sure whether they have birds on the corks, but they might…Croze Cabernet (Rutherford) and Stone the Crows Cabernet (Napa). Anyone here recall?

1 Like

There’s a member on here from Orlando named Robert and he’s a huge collector too. In fact, his nickname is “Owlman.” So I guess that makes four of you.

I’ll see if I can go through some of my old corks to see whether I have some with birds that you might not have already. If so, I’ll happily send them your way.

1 Like

Black Kite wines from Anderson Valley should be on your list.

1 Like

Dan… I don’t THINK so, but this will be on my weekend research agenda. THANKS!

Jeff… thanks! Another research adventure. A likely-looking wine…

Paul… wow! Many thanks! We share two obsessions, then - parrots and wine!

Ron… I have added them to my scavenger hunt list. I appreciate your help!

Corey… Owlman is #4??? The “club” is swelling!
I would be proud and grateful to be the recipient of your generosity. What do you do with your saved corks, if I may ask?

T. Thank you! Black Kite is now on my list, indeed! (Is that Snaggletooth? Exit, stage right!)

Where have y’all been all my life? Well, the last 20 years or so, anyway…

xoGila

Gila needs a Hootch Owl, a rare and very collectible antique corkscrew:

1 Like

Wild guess on the first one – Sandhill. It has a bird on the label, though like Tefft it is a bit different. Good luck with the search.

1 Like

The one cork looks like a crane. There was a (I thought maybe now defunct) winery in columbia valley called Sandhill Vineyards I think (or Sandhill Winery)- Their logo was the sandhill crane. Looks a lot like this, but not quite exact. Sandhill Winery - CellarTracker

1 Like

The second one looks more like a crow or raven, than a penguin. Penguins have webbed feet and their beaks and tails look different than what’s pictured.

1 Like

I think this is a charming hobby, much better than our practice of throwing all our corks in a plastic bag in the garage whenever the drawer gets full.

So, I went through the drawer, perhaps 100 corks. Too bad I am not collecting shields or crowns or castles, lots of these. All I could come up with is these 2, I think the first sides are birds, the producers are on the other side. You are most welcome to them (and any others I find), if yuou like:

1 Like

I have a couple, the Sami Odi would be fairly rare even in Australia (very talented young wine maker Fraser McKinley) WINES - Sami-Odi

And the Vogue CM might qualify?

Happy to pop them in the post if you are keen.
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG

1 Like

Robert… OMG, I need that, yes I do! How did you know??? I would steal that from my Abuela, if she were still alive, and had one!

Ron and Scott… it’s on my research list for later. Thank you so much. I recall seeing zillions of sandhill cranes back in New exico, along the Rio Grande. Thanks!

Brad… agreed. I even thought maybe it was a lyrebird, due to the weird 3-tailed looking stuff. Nothing so far. But gracias!

Steve… really??? WOW. I’ll message you with my address. I can’t believe the friendliness of everybody here. Yes, I would LOVE those corks! May I reimburse you for postage?

Dave… YESSSSSSSSSSSS! I will message you. I can’t believe the generosity! Please let me repay you for postage! They’re beautiful.

When I have a chance I will go through my corks as well. If you like birds, you may enjoy this thread that a number of us post in.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82346

1 Like

Birdwatcher and wine drinker, never noted this!!

Steve… thank you so! I can’t wait to read through that thread. Having a parrot is a very politically incorrect thing, but I got him when I started college (clueless) and have done my best to care for him properly. I do love him.
I would be thrilled to get any of your bird corks!!!

Bob… I’m more of a parrot-companion and wine drinker. Works for me!

Thanks to contributors here, I have reason to believe that the following wines may have bird corks.

Idlewild (The Bird). Thanks, David.
Castellare di Castellina. Thanks, Jeff.
Croze Cabernet and Stone the Crows Cabernet. Thanks, Ron.
Black Kite. Thanks, T.
Sandhill. Thanks, Ron and Scott.

Alas, I am poor, or I would find and order each, taking my chances on the bird-ness of the cork. While I am scrimping and plotting… does anybody have knowledge of said corks? Meanwhile, I’m researching each.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd… thank you, ALLLL, for indulging me.
xoxoxoGila

Isn’t the image of a crane and often-used icon for the Languedoc? I’m thinking of Paul Mas

Brian… my research list has just expanded, thanks to you!
THANKS… to YOUUU!!!