BILD 800 Wine Room - Anyone know anything about these?

Thanks - I’ll post a thread with details once I get close to finishing, but here is the outside - not pretty, but it’s an ‘all go, no show’ type of project - and it fits perfectly in the spot that was available. Size is 4’x6’x9’h.
A3A2785C-98CF-4EEE-8D07-9C6DA5F4E1EF.jpeg

This looks awesome. Nothing a coat of paint wouldn’t make look better.
I saw the demo video on coolbot of them building an outdoor one that looked pretty straightforward. I may go with a garage build similar to yours now. You are definitely getting the creating juices flowing.

Looking forward to your thread when you finish!

Cool - watch Amazon Warehouse Deals for a cooler, especially right now when the are out of season. I got mine for a song…may get a second at that price just to have a backup.

This is what I purchased - LG is the preferred vendor for CoolBot:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3FOD0Q

Glad to see you finishing this up, M. I’m hoping to start mine in about a month, once the weather warms up enough to support shooting the foam. I look forward to your completion thread!

Thanks - I hate it when little things like grad school get in the way… :wink:

I think one of these could work well for wine if you use a wine cooling unit rather than the refrigeration units they sell. The BILD unit looks like a good deal too.

I don’t think it’s a big deal to swap thermostats for one that cools around mid-50s rather than normal 40ish refrigerator temps.

Has anyone tried one of these: Shop Vintage Series Walk In Wine Room 1300 | Made to Order! ? It looks similar to the BILD, but is a bit larger, with a capacity of 1200+ bottles. It seems like a good value, but I’m curious if the quality of the panels and the racking is decent.

Hadn’t seen that one before. I do like that there is 5 different models so there is some choice on size instead of the BILD only having the one size.
That said, I think I feel more comfortable with BILD/Lecache due to reading what some of the people here have said about Lecache and the cooling unit that they use.

BILD units are built by Le Cache, and the refrigeration units are made in the USA by CellarPro.

I believe the R-Value of the panels in the BILD 800 is R-9, but I am confirming and if that’s wrong, I’ll post the correct info.

I would definitely caution against placing the BILD 800 with our CellarPro 1800XTS cooling unit in a living space, because the noise level will be objectionable. It’s really designed for garage environments, not living spaces.

CellarPro 1800XTS cooling units produce around 1900 BTUH, and they are the most powerful units in their class (1/4 ton nominal). (Btw these are not the most powerful units offered by CellarPro - not even close - CellarPro units go as large as 2 tons.)

Our advertised capacity for the BILD 800 (ie 800 bottles) is way low - eg, it doesn’t account for any boxes or bottles that can be stored on the floor.

I don’t know much about the cellars advertised by Vintage Cellars - eg R-Value, quality of construction, size of rack opening - but I can say definitively that, over the years, we’ve taken many calls from customers looking to replace their cooling units with a CellarPro cooling unit. In these cases, we’ve had some problems with their placement of the cooling unit near the bottom of the cellar, because the cold air struggles to circulate throughout the cellar, instead getting stuck in the bottom third of the cellar.

The BILD 800s are beasts - several years ago, one customer was very angry at us because of the size and weight when it was delivered (disassembled and on a pallet) - I’m not sure what we could have done differently on this score - but be prepared.

Hope this helps!

I had the 1900 bottle version of that. It had 2 chillers mounted near the ceiling so the design predated this version. Quality of the paneling and racking was very good. Purchased about 25 years ago.

I bought one of these units from vino-cellars.com, and just assembled it this weekend. I am very happy with it. It is very well built and was surprisingly easy to assemble. All the parts were well labeled and it clearly had been designed to be easy to assemble. Two of us got the whole thing finished in about three hours.
I ordered customized racking to have one side standard racking and the other side Champagne racking with two rows of Magnum racking. I was pleased that even very large over-sized Cabernet bottles and most Pinot bottles fit comfortably into the standard racking. The Champagne racking easily accommodates wide bottles like Taittinger Comtes and Turley. In fact, even many of my magnums fit easily into the Champagne racking.
I would heartily recommend this unit to anyone wanting to easily add some additional storage.

That’s pretty sweet Eric - glad it worked out well and you’re happy with it!

How’s the sound level on those bad boys? Fairly quiet or is this the kinda thing you want in a room you don’t spend a ton of time in?

Rich, I have it in an out-of-the-way spot so I haven’t paid much attention to the sound. The cooling unit is a BreezAir WKL-3000. I don’t think it is whisper-quiet, so I wouldn’t probably want it in a living room. It isn’t obnoxiously loud, though.

Gotcha. Was just curious if it was roaring loud or not. Congrats again on the cellar!

Eric, that looks very similar to the ~2000 bottle unit I put in when we fished our basement over 25 years ago. You should be very happy with it. And if you are still living there when the chiller eventually fails (they don’t last forever), CellarPro makes identically sized units.

Congratlations!

Great info! Any updates on how this system is working? And has anyone used one in a colder clime, for example a garage that gets below freezing? Thanks, Bob

I used to have a similar type room in my basement - about 1300 bottles. Room was great in my basement. Only issue were the cooling units - none lasted more than 6 years, the Cellar Pro ones lasted less long. I now have a bigger cellar with a split unit cooling system.

I just took delivery of almost the same thing. So much so that I thought I posted this and didn’t remember writing it until i looked at your avatar. Except I did one side with standard and the other with all champagne. Good to know that some mags also fit in the champagne slots. So far mine is kicking on a lot even though our house is relatively cool (ours is in an office in the house - garage gets too hot), but I only have about the bottom couple of rows filled with wine until I can transfer everything from my wine locker. I’ll be switching to a bottle probe in the interim. champagne.gif

I was given a used one of the version posted by Eric and Chris. I keep in in the garage, and it gets hot in San Diego from July-September (we crack the garage door, but it still gets to 100ºF). It was a bit of a pain to disassemble, move, and rebuild, but with plenty of caulking to make it airtight it has worked great for probably three years. I do worry a bit about the life of the refrigeration unit, but it has worked well and doesn’t run all the time (unlike my previous, 600-bottle Vinotemp that was, let’s just say, less-than-ideal).