Big Champagne House recs

Absolutely, but not a big house.

Apart from a few prestige cuvée I’m bored stiff with big houses, back to the growers for me.

2 Likes

Never said “people don’t think it.” Obviously you do & you’re entitled to your opinion. I furnished mine, hence the “IMO.”

In general big house wines bore me. Yes there are some amazing wines at the prestige level, and some of the vintage wines (e.g. I love Bolly GA, and have had zero issues with it…lucky me!) can be excellent, but there is often an absurd premium to be paid for the privilege. There was a time when I enjoyed Billecart’s Rosé (as well as the L-P Rosé) but it now leaves me cold. Same for Ruinart’s Blanc de Blancs. I used to buy and drink a lot of Pol Roger, but cannot warm up to that anymore.

I see the OP mentioned inconsistency with grower wines. I actually find that to be a compelling reason to drink them. They are not exactly the same year after year after dispiriting year. I like the ups and downs, and following how the different disgorgements follow different paths. It’s fascinating, and more of an “experience” than the Disneyland perfection of a blend tuned to a calibrated lack of identity.

That doesn’t mean I look down on people who enjoy the big house wines. As I said above, there are still a few I enjoy, they just are not the core of what I want to drink on a regular basis.