Better than Meyers Rum?

Flor de Cana is a nice line, and they label their sweeter white rum as such, so you can pick “sec,” or not.

+1

Ron Diplimatico Reserva Exclusiva hasn’t been mentioned. Both of those are >$30.

Plantation 5 year would be a good bet. Killer for the price.

However, I can appreciate Myers for what it is. But it isn’t really a sipping rum and some of the ones being mentioned would be sacreligious as a mixer. Depends what you want it for.

We used to sell a “rum” from Sri Lanka that was made from Coconuts and labeled as “Ceylon Arrack” that was AMAZING and just $10 in 1995 or so. Importer folded and went back home…shame.

van Oosten Batavia Arrack is great stuff, if you like the hogo aspects of Smith & Cross. Probably not so good, though, for someone looking for a higher end version of Meyer’s rum!

The stuff we had has an AMAZING butterscotch nose, was only like 50° and we sold almost all of it to pastry chefs and chocolatiers…

Have you tried White Lion VSOA? It’s a newer (I think) Sri Lankan arrack fermented from coconut flower sap… I haven’t had it, but it’s on my list of things to try. Might be similar to what you used to get?

Dont forget their 12yr. I would say it is the best qpr in rum today.

Meyers is a great rum to cook with, it is a good rum to drink. Capt Morgan is absolute swill.

There are a lot of great rums out there-i still think many are undervalued by the mkt today…which is a good thing.

-paul

I find pampero much too sweet for me. Some people seem to love it, but I have several btls that Ive received as gifts and I never reach for them

Goslings Black Rum.
Its the best one for Dark & Stormys.

I just had a bottle of Siesta Key Spiced rum, a really nice alternative to Captain Morgan. Less sweet and more smokey. $20 for a 750ml.

And at the risk of possibly offending sensibilities :slight_smile: a Rum Old Fashion is wonderful!

Loving this Ron Centenario 30 year old from Panama - no idea on availability

Joe -

If she is going to mix it with Coke - go with the Old New Orleans Spiced Rum - should be around $28.00 a bottle at Binnys - and it’s the best of all the spiced rums - terrific with black tea as well -

I’m a big fan of Bermudez Anniversario. Hard to find in the states, but its imported and shows up here and there. Has a ton of rum character without too much sweetness; has an aged smoothness without being overly woody. It’s a serious spirit. $25-30.

I went to high school with three sisters with the name Bermudez. Heard the family was in the rum biz.

Well i bought this. Its got a good kick for rum. Just sipping at it tonight over ice.

Planation XO 20tg anniversary. It says aged twice as long but i have no idea what once as long is so…
image.jpg

We use Meyers rum in cocktails that need an extra kick. Usually with a lighter rum and fruit juices. Can’t remember the last time though!

Just bought this over the weekend. Delicious!

Pretty famous family in DR rum making world.

http://www.ronbermudez.com/productos/bermudez_blanco

If I am not mistaken, they are third in terms of sale/popularity behind Brugal & Barcelo.

What is the protocol for mentioning this? I’m not ITB, but you can count this as nepotism: About ten years ago my brother started turning the wheels to make his own rum. I basically waved from a great distance and said “good luck” and happily sampled stuff when he needed a taster. A year or so ago, his rum came onto market and it’s done well with critics. It’s white rum, and a good sipper on its own, though it mixes well too. Also, he has a cacao rum that when he mentioned it I couldn’t believe would be a good idea. It was. That stuff is crazy good. I’ve linked to the first review I found – very curious if anyone has tried either one.

Has anyone tried: Ron Zacapa 23Yr Centenario Rum? I am deciding between this and the Barbancourt 15yr for a tasting this weekend.