Best Zin Poll

Scherrer Old and Mature Vines
Scherrer Shale Terrace
Scherrer Alexander Valley
Scherrer Zinfanoodle
Scherrer Special Cuvee
Scherrer Zinfandel

Wow, that’s 4 that I haven’t seen or tried from Scherrer.

I have and they are stellar

I think Special Cuvee is the only one I have not had.

Zinfandoodle is one of the best value priced wines around. The current release, v0.1, is really a nice wine.

Obviously Ridge is a country mile ahead everyone with the possible exception of Carlisle.

But my vote is Scherrer.

I had another Bedrock last not and at this stage I would not have them near the top of my list. Maybe when they get some age. But still I think it is too early to have them on any top 10 list.

Jason

My favorite is missing, Black Sears.

I have not had a scherer or black sears. But I’m gonna see if I can find some.

Doesn’t Brown or DCubed use Black Sears Vineyard?

1997 turley black sears. The zin in which all other Zins hope to be. I still can taste it some 15 years later. This is the only wine I won’t rebuy at auction as it might ruin that experience.

Agree with you about Bedrock Zins. I love Bedrock Syrahs, Cabs, and Whites, but most of Morgan’s Zin-based wines are not appealing at all to me. To put this into perspective, Carlisle is my hands down favorite producer followed by Ridge, Rafanelli, and possibly some Turley bottlings (except I hate their bottle size, so I don’t buy them anymore). Storybook Mountain might be up there as well, but I’ve only tried a couple of different vintages.

Regarding Scherrer, I’ve not had many (only 2003, 2004, 2007, and 2009 O&MV according to Cellartracker) and have liked them but wouldn’t put them up there with my favorites. Perhaps I need to try some with proper aging. I did try the O&MV 2003 in October of 2010 and it was not very enjoyable (hot vintage probably the culprit here).

I’m not a Zin guy, but if I was to buy Zin it would be Scherrer. Swan would be a distant second followed by Carlisle.

Scherrer’s zins are never over-ripe fruit bombs, they offer huge enjoyment for QPR, and are balanced and thereby great with food.

Does this mean we are zin-phan-boyz?
Damn, I feel so trendy. I wanna put on some loud rap music to piss ppl off.

Storybook Mtn is my favorite, but I wouldn’t kick Raff, Nalle, or Fred out of bed.
(Fred being Scherrer. I liked the rhyme)

My son and a group of co-workers visited Fred yesterday. They were wowed!.
Think they left with shipping orders for about 10 cases.

Three things stood out:

1. Rose. Most were thinking white Zin and they were bowled over.

2. Cabs. They visited. Several other cab producers with $100.00+ cabs and decided Fred’s was best … By far.

3. Zin. They all were flabbergasted that Zin could taste like that.

Incidentally, they had dinner at Nick’s and loved the Bedrock North Coast Syrah … Four bottles loved.

Green and Red.

Regarding the Bedrock Zins, everyone here knows I’m an unabashed fan, but let me just say that they simply haven’t had enough time to establish the kind of track record that tops lists like this. If there were no Ridge wines pre-2007 and most people started getting into them 2008 and later, they would absolutely, positively, not be part of this conversation either. Indeed, I quit Ridge ATP about 10 years ago because I just wasn’t impressed with the wines. The few stragglers which hung around my cellar have become so good I recently decided to rejoin. I’m not saying Bedrock will do the same that these are wines everybody should like, but that given the short track record it’s apples to oranges.

Yes.

There is a good chance if Carlisle is your hands down favorite producer, that Scherrer just may not be your style. Polar opposites. And I personally don’t think Scherrer zins need age. They do age and are wonderful but I also loving them as bouncing babies with all of their ziny goodness.

Jason

Agreed.