Best Winery For Visit Within Hour of Santa Barbara

So many great suggestions listed…

Jaffurs FOR SURE! Larry nailed it with Refugio…Andrew Murray…Stoplman…Beckman…Qupe.

Larry’s wines aren’t big…but you gotta try them.

+1 on Jaffurs and I’ll add Rusack up in the Solvang area to the mix. Big fan of both.

Tensley and Jaffurs. Best of the bunch.

I’ve spent a lot of time…and almost a bottle thinking about this. Sincere appreciation to all who have shared. Sanguis and Jaffurs are definitely one day for us. The second will include Beckmen, Stolpman and at least a third stop (still researching…I have a glass leftbut it will probably be Tensley). We’re in L. A. (we were married in a hippie temple 18 years ago ((First Methodist Church of Malibu-we loved it!)) ) for a couple of days and one night we’ll be at Rustic Canyon which has Ojai syrah ,not sure which one but it will be at least be an opportunity to try one although probably not approaching what we will taste later.

Of course I’m going to have give this a bit more consideration and another taste or two.

PS FWIW I have a bit of Reynvaan (Stonessence (09, 11, 12) and In the Rocks 09, and 11) and last night opened my last bottle of '09 No Name (only had three total). After an hour or so it was incredibly smooth-jammier (a good thing for me) than I had expected and mouth coating. Last week we hosted a dinner here (suburban Washington, D. C.) and opened a magnum of '07 K Vintners The Hustler. An entirely different wine from the Reynvaan but it would have been interesting to taste them side by side. Night and day different but each exceptional.

Look forward to Santa Barbara-sincere thanks again to everyone. MUCH appreciate the help.

Joe Heflin

My favorites are: Tensley, Stolpman, Arcadian, Palmina, Tercero, Loring…and I frankly don’t know who all is located at the Lompoc ghetto anymore, but that is a good stop as long as you hit a day most are open or you call ahead.

Some other ones not mentioned that I think are worthy of looking into: Demetria, Prodigal, and D’Alfonso-Curran. If you go to Demetria, a bit further down the road is Zaca Mesa and Foxen.

Btw, the drive to Demetria is gorgeous.

k.

Edit: forgot to add Tercero.

Noted, Karring Moan, including the drip to Demetria. Thank you, sir.

Jonata (Screaming Eagle sister winery) in Buellton is beautiful and the wine aint to shabby either. Wayne is the contact and is a super nice guy. Gave my wife and I a private tour of the place before our tasting. Highly recommended.

Joe, if you’re interested in coming to Zaca Mesa PM me and I’ll make sure they have a few of the small lot Syrahs open when you come. Depending on the day of the week there may or may not be a few different ones open. Either way, enjoy your visit to SBC Wine Country and definitely go see Larry Schaffer!

Stolpman, Jaffurs, Casa Dumetz in Los Alamos.

Joe,

Some great suggestions here, including Demetria (Andrew Murray planted and owned that vineyard and estate until 2005). If you will be driving out of town that way, I would take Matt up on his invite to Zaca Mesa - he and Eric, the winemaker, will take great care of you.

If you do decide to hit up Los Olivos and go to Tensley and Stolpman, head literally 100 yards east from Stolpman and you’ll hit Samsara, Chad Melville’s label. He has been making some killer syrahs for quite some time. AND if you hit up his place, I am literally about 75 yards away from him - stop on by and I’ll open some White Hawk and Thompson syrahs for you to enjoy :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Another suggestion…Jalama has a small tasting room in Lompoc. Stopped by about 6 months ago and was really impressed by their juice (which I had never heard of prior).