Best Wine to Pair with Caviar?

Ciroc, Chopin, Belvedere…there are many. Some of it depends on what style you like if you’re drinking them straight as the good ones are somewhat expressive of their base material.

Nice pairing suggestion !

No, if I had a teenager they would top it off with water and it would freeze.

I hate to admit, but this is really good: Vodka | Total Wine & More

Also…

House of Suntory Haku Vodka is cheap and really really good.

The only one I actually used to order as Martini was Ketel One, the only one I didn’t mind sipping and not doing as shots. And back in early '80s Smirnoff used to make a first “fashion” vodka, which at the time no one “got”, it was $30 or so for a 750ml back then, in a nice glass bottle. That was pretty good. But, yes, I’ll take Ketel One over anything else.

Russians lately have a bunch of interesting ones, you should try Beluga (a hint there!). Costly, but good. Or Russian Standard, drink of choice in Russian parts of NY area these days.

Costco has a killer deal on Plaza Osetra Bulgarian Sturgeon Caviar. Retail on the Plaza de Caviar site is $130 for 2oz. Costco is selling a three pack of the same 2oz jars for $189.99 through 12/22 ($60 off their regular price.) That is just $31.67/oz! I paid $10 more for the three pack a few weeks ago and was thrilled, but I may be tempted to buy more. Beautiful caviar. You can choose your delivery date, too.

The only vodka I actually buy/drink is Beluga Gold Line. Good stuff; with caviar or without.

There’s another deal on Plaza de Caviar (US White Sturgeon) 3-pack for only $149.99. It has the same retail price listed, but the “deal” is $100 off instead of just $60 off. Is there some reason to assume the Bulgarian Black Sturgeon version is superior? Both have the same score in the reviews on Costco.com. Thinking of getting a 3-pack of each.

My order was cancelled for the white sturgeon. Might have been a member only item, but I was able to place the order.

Placed an order for the Osetra.

The descriptions of each are on the Plaza de Caviar web site. The white sturgeon is listed as “Plaza Classic” and the Bulgarian is listed as “Plaza Osetra.” I have not had the white surgeon, only the Osetra and the Golden Osetra. But with that 3-pack pricing and the Golden only available in the 2oz gift set for 169.99 (still a great price) or in the 8.8oz tin for 559.99 (800.00 on the plaza de caviar site!) I’d still opt for the Bulgarian. You’ll have to let me know how they both taste!

http://plazadecaviar.com/explore-shop/caviar/

The White probably was a member only deal, as I was able to purchase it (as well as the black). I actually didn’t realize that there were some items available to non-members. I always just assumed that you had to be a member to purchase anything from Costco.com.

John

The reason champagne goes with caviar is textural; both are about small bubbles bursting in the mouth, which is a unique pleasure. They taste good together too but that is almost by the by.
Frozen vodka is great too, for an entirely different effect and when the caviar is not to be followed by wine. Incidentally, I once took part in a blind tasting of vodka from the cheapest to the most expensive and I can report that there is pretty much nothing to gain from trading up except a nicer looking bottle.

Ice cold vodka

My caviar matching experience has been limited to various Champagnes, Beaucastel Blanc (regular and VV Roussanne), and vodka. I prefer Champagne, followed by vodka. The caviar was too salty to match well with the Rhône’s, at least for my palate and the caviar at hand.

Just got a delivery of the Costco Bulgarian 3-pack. Looking forward to trying it with chips, also with creme fraiche, and some Taittinger Comtes.

To my taste, high end Vodka goes the best with caviar. It overwhelms many wines.

Sounds good to me. Glad you included Sake as many of the drier ones go great with caviar.

Agreed on the drier ones. Those are more suited to my preferences. The ones from cooler climates are great with caviar.

I cannot believe how much I enjoy Russian standard vodka with caviar. I keep a bottle in the freezer at all times. It’s not even a price thing for me, it just blows every other vodka I’ve tried away if I’m sipping straight. Kettle one for martinis.

I usually have trouble deciding whether to drink vodka or champagne with my caviar, so admittedly, I do both… start with bubbles, finish with vodka.

Same factory used to produce Imperia Vodka, even better than Russian Standard (Imperia being their first product). Haven’t seen it lately and not sure its still produced. Last one I was able to buy was in Magnum size bottle, though I have a bottle of 750ml stashed away.

There is a number of really good small production runs vodkas made in Russia these days, mostly consumed internally.