Best wine stores in Paris and Beaune

France’s VAT is 20%. My shipping came out to about $75 a case including insurance. So the break even point is at about $375 total case value or $31.25/bottle. I was buying in the $60-$150 price range for the most part so shipping was cheaper and much more convenient since we were traveling by train between Paris and Beaune.

It looks like if you’re carrying it home yourself there are VAT Refund Centers where you can get a refund for your taxes but I haven’t done this:
http://world.tax-rates.org/france/sales-tax

VAT refund Center game has been a scam in my experience, albeit not in Paris. You have to present goods to a customs agent after airport security; which means you cannot check in. Which for alcohol would strike me as exceptionally problematic. Again, have not had this issue with Paris. had this issue last year in Amsterdam where I was told checking in a bunch of clothing was OK, only to get into an argument with the customs office later. It seems intentionally done this way to me, to reduce people claiming refunds.

Yeah, I was wondering how that would work when it says the refund centers are located inside the airport. Good to know, will stick with shipping.

Thanks for sharing.

That’s not how it works in France. Check in and drop your other luggage and tell the agent that you will return your wine box after VAT refund. The agent will tell you to come back straight to the front of the line after. Take your wine box to VAT Refund in case the officers there want you to show your purchases; they likely won’t. VAT Refund is located just behind check in, before security. Scan your VAT Refund forms (it’s automated at CDG) and drop your wine box back at check in. Takes 5 minutes.

Be aware of the VAT Refund rules. €175.01 minimum same day purchases per store. Some large stores (Galeries Lafayette, Le Bon Marche, and others) will refund VAT at the time of sale provided you bring your passport, in which case you scan the VAT form at the airport to show that you actually left the EU.

Important caveat: most do not refund the full twenty percent via Pablo or any of the VAT refund entities.
You are looking at eleven or twelve percent back at the most.

Not with wine on a tarmac or in a hot car during July.

I second Mon Millésime. A must stop for my husband and I in Beaune. Like Craig said above, we usually head downstairs to pick up old vintages from interesting producers. We buy to consume while we are staying in Beaune. However, one visit we shipped a case back to Portland, OR and it arrived a year later, haha!

Does anyone know of a good shipping service in Paris? A wine store quoted me 30 euros per bottle!! They will let me use my own third party service, however. I checked with Cote d’Or, and they don’t do pickups in Paris (need to get your shop in Paris to ship to them in Burgundy) and charge ~15 euro/bottle.

subscribe

+1 I still have the bag from a visit

FWIW, I’ve found Lavinia to have a huge selection, but very concentrated on deeply, famously classic or currently fashionable, with something of a hole for the mid-range.
Cave Auge has one of the deepest selections of great old wines. You will pay accordingly.
I have no idea if the previous buyer / manager still has any involvement, or indeed if he is either free or in prison.

There’s a link here to other stores by neighborhood.

I’ve been in a dozen other Paris stores, including some on the list by neighborhood. However please note that a lot of the best neighborhood stores can keep a lot of the good stuff in the back. It’s either reserved for regular customers, or for people who know enough to ask for ‘old and rare’, and who let the owners know that they are both knowledgeable and passionate.

I do not know wine shops in Beaune, but Caveau de la Tour in Meursault has a very broad selection at reasonable prices.

Dan Kravitz

Love Philovino–used to be in the 13th has now moved to some tonier arrondissements. No older vintages, but the owner, Bruno Quenioux is tremendously knowledgeable and passionate about wine. Get him going (in French) and he will start pulling corks. Current info:
Lieu : PhiloVino - 6 place d’Estienne d’Orves - 75009 Paris

1 Like