Best Wine Lists in Paris

Seriously!? I’m going there.

Yeah, the hard part was choosing a bottle. OTOH the food, while decent enough, is nothing special. You really go just for the wine.

Is it the type of place to go post-dinner – just to have a bottle of wine at the bar? Or are you expected to order food too?

I think you could do either. But good Chablis is certainly better with food. Nothing wrong with the food there, just not the sort of place one would seek out for its food.

When I was there a couple years ago, Le Villaret had an excellent list that was priced astoundingly well. I had an 04 Raveneau Blanchots for 80 Euro (!) that remains perhaps the best Chablis I’ve ever had. There were dozens of other similar deals, but I remember the best deals being for Chablis and Cornas. The food was good but not memorable.

I land in Paris tomorrow morning and am heading straight to La Cagouille for lunch. Saturday lunch will be La Tour d’Argent for duck and a couple of aged red Burgs.

Bob,

Tan Dinh has been picked over considerably but there are still a few good botts available at decent prices.

Best Regards
Jeremy

I would have thought his French to have been better!
alan

Loved the food at L’Arpege but the wine list was kind of blah.

I really liked the wine list at Spring. Foillard 3.14 by the glass!

I would disagree about the food. Every time I’ve been it’s been very good, and this last time in February after the renovations it was fantastic (for lunch). The wine list is very good but has been going up in price.

As for other wine lists, I prefer the smaller more intimate wine bars (eg like Cave des Abbesses) than the well-known places. If it’s well-known, chances are the wine list has been picked over or has been priced accordingly. Smaller wine bars have more interesting producers that are less expensive.

Tan Dinh has been completely picked over, sadly.

I hate you. [snort.gif]

Is that the place next to Maceo?

I forgot about Willi’s Wine Bar. Have been there twice. Certainly not “fine dining” but good food and nice wine in a casual atmosphere. But wine wise, nothing compared to La Tour d’Argent.

Les Caves Petrissans is where i always try and go for lunch. Decent wine list and their retail store next door has a great list, and 10 or 15 e corkage fee for bottles purchased in the store at retail prices.

No. Tahn Dihn has been pretty well picked clean.

My parents lived walking distance from 1995 to 2001 and I had many a fine night at the hands of Vifian Pere et Fils. My first Mugneret-Gibourg was at Freddy’s urging.

+1 on Willi’s wine bar. And while the food may not be haute cuisine, it is extremely pleasant bistrot food that will not torture your wallet. In my book much more enjoyable than some of the more hoity toity options we frequented.

The other thing that was cool with Willi’s - not sure if its the same today - is that when traveling alone on business you could order Raveneau by the glass.

I’ve also had good experiences at Taillevent - maybe 3 years ago had a 99 Rousseau Chambertin (for 400ish Euros) and a 1971 Huet Moelleux for < 200

And those traveling alone for pleasure get Dauvissat?

[berserker.gif]