Best Vodka

I try a different vodka every time I buy a bottle - Ketel One is a favorite that is usually on sale somewhere -

I make Vodka Martinis with it - I throw two Santa Barbara Jalapeno stuffed olives in there with a little olive juice from the jar and that’s it -

at the risk of offending, I’m pretty much convinced that no one can accurately pick out their “favorite” vodka in a lineup of 6 different vodkas of wildly different price points. I’ve blinded people on this subject several times and no one ever comes close. The last time I did this last summer I included “platinum” which is distilled 7 times and cost about $8/750ml. It did very well, smirnoff does very well. I’m convinced that the smoother and more neutral vodkas do best. I believe that 99.99% of vodka is marketing. Spending big $$ on vodka (especially when mixing) makes absolutely no sense (to me).

I’d love to hear differing opinions.

-paul

I know that blind, at least one time, I could tell Grey Goose (preferred) and Belvedere apart - same strange bottle shape, similar price point.

I did a blind once and Grey Goose won hands down. I know Stoli, Absolut and, was it Ketel One, not sure anymore. Belvedere wasn’t in the lineup.

But no, I am not sure I could pick a brand out of a blind lineup of vodka.

I thought I could pick out Grey Goose from a flight of 6, I couldn’t.
I picked a cheap vodka at only 80% alcohol so it seemed smoother. [scratch.gif]
My current favorite is Bully Boy, a boutique producer in Boston.

Regardless in a Bloody Mary it would not matter what you use.

Totally agree Paul, that’s why I said buy whatever is on offer!

Other than bloodies, just one vodka cocktail appeals - 50/50 with Belle de Brillet pear liqueur, with a frozen whole grape garnish, in winter. Monopolowa is good enough. That’s about it.

That would make a great Myth Busters episode.

I enjoy Effen.

For all of those Goose Fans out there, Kirkland Brand is virtually the same thing and you can get 3 times the volume for the same price. Try it out.

80 proof, 40%, I suspect you mean.

Correct

I read an article where people picked smirnoff most often in a blind test over brands like grey goose, or ketel one. I want to say it was something like consumer reports that did the study.

Cant’ make a Moscow Mule with gin.

Our rotation is Tito’s, Russian Standard and Luksusova (a Polish potato vodka which sells for $20/1.75 liter here).

My all time favorite was Finlandia when the did a 94 proof. An awesome drink for iced shots at perfect proof.

I never could substitute Smirnoff. I always used to get a pronounces fusel oil element that I found off-putting. But that’s been a couple of decades since my last sampling.

Tito’s and Reyka, and when looking for something with some body, Monopolowa.

Kris,

I agree Monopolowa is a good value, a potato voda from Austria. Look for Vesica from Poland, sold by your Baron Herzog supplier. I think it’s just as good or better than Monopolowa but about 1/3 less. Not too many people carry it even here in NYC, and I ‘discovered’ it in my local store which had it floor stacked, I had never heard of it until then.