Best Vintages of Clos Rougeard?

Rougeard made very good 2002, and surprisingly, 2003!

Yet to open any ‘10 Rougeard but ‘08 and ‘11 Le Bourg are fantastic wines.

Last tasting I picked the poyeaux '03 over the '05

Really liked '07 too

I couldn’t find a more recent thread on Clos Rougeard, so reviving this one. I still have a few 2011 rougeard reds (quite herbal) but only one 2011 Brézé. Decided to open it tonight. Never been wowed by chenin, but boy this was good and could make me a convert if only all chenin was like this. Rather deep yellow color but on the nose, you have pears, preserved lemons, bees wax, all jumping out of the glass, already on pnp. Quite full bodied and rich, but lifted up by a perfectly balanced streak of mineral acidity. No hint of age. Worth looking out for.

1 Like

Any early thoughts on the 2014’s?

Buy any vintage you’ re able to lay your hands on.

Killer.

And I love love his vintage in Loire Cab Franc.

I’d say pick up 2010 and 2007, if you have to choose.
Up to now (I’ve still got quite a bit stashed away to age), I think the 2007 and 2010 Poyeux are probably my favourite Rougeards (and I’ve had most, if not all, of their wines in the '99-'11 span… stopped chasing after 2011). Poyeux has always been my sweet spot.

Any suggestion to wait on '07 Poyeux or ready to go? On a related note, '08 Clos I had recently was very very good.

I’ve never had a bottle that was shut down, so, I guess, it kind of depends on whether you have more than one and whether you actually want that wine with even more age on it.

1 Like

I’m opening 11 Brézé at the Cellar Tracker Charleston Offline in Nov.

Had the 2014 Poyeux in November. Accessible, silky texture, just a hint of leafy green, delicious

1 Like