Best Value Wines under $50?

Have to add Enfield “Pretty Horses” Tempranillo to the list, for around $30.

That’s a good call.

I haven’t tried Halcon syrahs yet but I’m eager to

My list of great wines under $50 is super-duper-extra long. So long that sometimes I wonder why I ever spend more.

Retro Cellars Petite Sirah is also a fine value. Their Napa bottling goes for $35.

Don’t know that I’d call it a value wine but it’s well under $50 and the wine I drink most of year in and year out. Gotta go through two cases a year of Merry Edwards SB easy

Sharing is caring! I always saw $50 as kind of the point where costs were no longer a factor and the market took over, regardless of region. I’m frankly more interested in the under $30 category because there is wine out there that is incredible value still.

Nobody mentioned Edmunds St. John yet?

Can’t believe as much as I like Domestic Syrah’s that I have never tried one!

Seen some 2014 Barsotti Ranch syrahs on various retailer websites going for around $30 each. Steve’s wines age marvelously too.

Max, what happened to the spreadsheet? I can’t access it in Google drive anymore.

I just tried to start writing this out and indeed it became endless so I gave up. Instead, I think phenomenal sub-$50 can most easily be found in the following regions/villages/appellations – which still borders on being too voluminous to list, and I’m sure there’s a bunch I’m forgetting:

Quality producers from less famous Burgundy villages (e.g., Fixin, Givry, Mercurey, Pernand, Pouilly Fuisse, Marsannay, Monthelie, Rully, Saint-Veran, Santenay, Savigny les Beaune, St. Aubin, and the list goes on, even Chassagne Rouge sometimes, even NSG/Volnay/Pommard/and CdN if you’re choosy etc)
Beaune 1ers and other lower-level 1ers from Jadot/Drouhin/Bouchard
Austria and Germany (almost everyone except the tip top makes wines in this range – even Keller)
Beajolais (Foillard, Thivin, Lapierre, Clos de Roilette, Vissoux, etc.)
Chablis AOC and 1ers (e.g., Fevre, Billaud Simon, Moreau Naudet, Servin, etc.)
Loire Chinon (Baudry etc)
Cornas (G. Gilles)
NV Grower Champagne
Gattinara/Valtellina (and some Barbaresco)
Muscadet (Pepiere, Domaine de l’Ecu, etc.)
Rioja (LdH, Rioja Alta, etc.)
Santa Cruz Mountains
Sauternes/Port .375s (essentially everyone but Yquem)
Sandlands, Dirty & Rowdy
St. Joseph (Faury)
Vouvray (Huet etc)

Others have already commented on quite a few on my list of under $50, but I’ll add a couple more to the list:

Big Table Farms
Au Bon Climat
Anthill Farms
Betwixt
Lost & Found
Teutonic whites
Kruger-Rumpf
Alfred Merkelbach
Hermann Ludes
Haden Fig
Defaix
Massican whites
Chapoutier Les Granits
Laherte Freres Blanc de Blancs Brut Nature

50$ before taxes count? Then I’d like to add St. Supery Elu to the list.

That’s weird, should still be up. I’ll repost tonight when I’m done updating. Sorry about that.

Below is the sheet as of 8/2/20 at 8:00 PM. Note I was aiming for actual bottles, but a few people called out general regions or producers so I added those as best I could.

EDIT 8/3/20: Updated Beau Rivage

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ugar9LcQUD3JAalj2P02mh8wB9CM6x2F/view?usp=sharing

VERY strong work there Max!

Indeed