Best Value White Burgundy (Under $20) [POLL ADDED]

I see it under $20 at times. WS pro currently shows one listing for the 2017 under $20, best 2018 price listed is $21.28. Several of these wines, Michel, definitely Droin, maybe even Carillon, are not regularly under $20, but can sometimes be found for that price. I’m sure tariffs are a factor at the moment.

Wait a few months until the tariffs end.

Agree with this selection…

I commented on this wine in another thread. Over the Summer I was looking for a nice white I could open whenever I wanted without even having to care about the price or vintage or whatever…I found the Drouhin Saint Veran for $16 and it perfectly fit the bill. A really nice, balanced, White Burg with a screwcap that is better than most whites that cost 2-3x as much

Thanks. Good to know. It definitely qualifies.

Also voted for St Veran. Another I have been finding at Costco is Matrot’s Bourgogne Blanc.

Probably going to be longer than that.

I always thought that Louis Michel Chablis is the best in its class. My father really like it

[winner.gif]

Louis Michel Chablis. I’ll update the master thread.

PXL_20220520_002050073.jpg
It’s gotten warm in my area, so my better half and I split a bottle of the 2017 J.M. Brocard ‘Sainte Claire’ [Chablis]. She liked it more than I did as I tend to favor popular styled Cali Chard rather than these cooler, straw and lemon infused versions of this varietal. 12.5% abv, and tastes tight to me. I did get some light crystalline deposits in the last glass, which has been noted in other WB comments from this producer. To me, this tastes more like ‘white Burgundy’ than ‘Chablis’ as I find that it falls into the odd spot of being too lean versus California expressions of the varietal, yet too round to be obviously (and pleasingly) Chablis. When I opened this chilled bottle, we were looking for a zippy refresher, and I ended up underwhelmed, thus assigning it a B- in my ledger. Perhaps the 2018 will be better, as I have one of those as well.

2017 was a top year for White Burgundy, so it’s disappointing that a Chablis tasted like generic White Burgundy.

We used to buy CASES of the JMB Kimmeridgien at about 10 bucks. It was a great lean, acidic cooking wine which was also drinkable. Now I find that the quality has not kept pace with the price increases.

It is now $30 a bottle rather than $20, but my favorite less expensive white Burgundy is the Bourgogne Blanc from Bernard Moreau.