Best Sub-$100 White Burg

For whites, I bought a mess of 2014s so I can wait. For reds, I probably don’t need to ever buy another bottle of Burgundy again. So, again I will wait.

1 Like

Howard, if you don’t ever need to buy another bottle of Burgundy, it’s a pretty moot point! Whereas I am, let’s say, a few years younger than you are, and I love the 16s, so waiting on the 18s and 19s to potentially be had at a more reasonable value isn’t of much use to me. :slight_smile:

There will always be another excellent vintage, whether it is in 2020, 2021, 2022, etc. 2016 is a very small vintage. It will never be cheap.

That’s very true, but I don’t see Burgundy prices dropping substantially going forward given market interest and the limitation on production. Also, climate change is not pointing in the right direction for my Burgundy preferences, nor is my own age.

But, with a new President next year, they very well could go down 25%.

Buisson Charles and Guffens have stood out for me recently.

1 Like

I don’t expect vintages bought under tarrifs would though.

1 Like

The 2017 of this was pretty widely available for $90 or a bit less. The 2018 has made the $100 jump? Bummer.

I love this wine and I probably should have included in my original post. I drank through a fair bit of the 2014 at $60/per and each was exceptional.

I’ve been researching some of these
Of course you have to finagle a bit but Using wine.com coupons

Cherisey Meursault Blagny 1er cru La Genelotte $67 2016
Cherisey Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru Hameau de Blagny $80. 2016
Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Les Caillerets $67 2017
Jean-Marc Pillot Chassagne-Montrachet 1er cru Les Vergers Clos St. Marc (really old vines; 2017 will stop you in your tracks; has just how nudged over $100) $54 2015

Jacques CarillonPuligny Montrachet

The fact that we can pat ourselves on the back for finding a Carillon village wine for less than a benjamin is all the proof you need of the hopelessly pathetic futility of searching for affordable & swallowable Chardonnay during an era of infinitely infinite fiat electrons within a milieu of zero velocity of money.

1 Like

Like clockwork!

1 Like

Damn funny.

took Nathan to get you back! Good to see you.

Ryan. Half bottles of the better stuff. Seriously.

I really like Buisson Charles wines, but they generally need time. They aren’t real showy young.

the 17s are drinking really well right now

Lots of great options mentioned here!

Chassagne Blanchot dessus should be on the list. Morey Coffinet’s version is worth seeking out.

I’d add Hubert Lamy’s Saint-Aubin En Remilly to the list. Have to be careful (as with so much of Burgundy) but I’d argue that there are some good deals when you look at wines from Saint-Aubin.

I see what you did here… and I agree. Plus, well under $100 and no tariffs.