Best spots to drink wine in Rome

We will be in Rome for a weekend, wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good enoteca in the city?

Where in the city will you be staying?

Check out the links below:

2 Likes

I really dug Il Gocetto on my last visit (pre pandemic). Its a very happening neighborhood-type place, overflowing with locals.

3 Likes

Not an enoteca but a great bar open nights only, https://thejerrythomasproject.it/

I really liked Cul de Sac! Wine list is outrageous.

5 Likes

Thanks. We’re staying near Piazza della Chiesa Nuova. I believe it’s right across the water from the Castel Sant’Angelo

2 Likes

Good location! 5 mins walk to Piazza Navona and Campo de’ Fiori.

3 Likes

The Roscioli establishments in Campo de’ Fiori are great. As is Cul de Sac mentioned above.

4 Likes

I’ve heard about Roscioli. Are they mainly a restaurant or can you just go in for a glass of wine?

1 Like

The Salumeria functions like both, a wine bar upstairs, more tables downstairs. You can do either. We’ve been in for a bite and glass, and also done full meals. They are all about wine. One of their other places, Rimessa, is a wine bar with lots of options for tasting flights, etc. Definitely need reservations most days are they are uber popular at all the spots in their little empire.

3 Likes

That looks like a great option. Thanks man

1 Like

cul de sac right next to navona
great list!

3 Likes

Rimessa is really where you want to go for wine. The food is from the Salumeria, least the salumi and cheeses are. The Salumeria is basically a deli with tables and chairs (also a kitchen somewhere, not really sure where). Emma, a pizzeria is also part of the the empire. There’s a coffee bar and also a bakery (think pizza by the slice) in the same area. All of it good, though read Katie Parla about ordering at the Salumeria.

4 Likes

+1 Went there twice in three days…such a great spot. Tends to get crowded!

For those that responded with Cul de Sac did you have a meal there or just wine and light bites ? We have a group of 6 and thinking of kicking off our trip here on our first night. I’m leaning more towards apertivo time then dinner somewhere else. It will also be Ryder Cup week so thinking we’ll need a reservation.

Any other tips or suggestions ?

I just went two weeks ago and we just had wine. But they definitely had some options for aperitivo light bites

2 Likes

Thanks Dennis and others for the Roscioli rec. We went and had some really nice Coravin pours. ‘04 Tignanello, Corton Charlemagne, and a really nice Barolo

1 Like

At Cul de Sac, wife and I have had 2 dinner meals (both on our 1st day of trips in Rome) and a couple of other times ordering a few glasses with light, salumeria bites. Introduced to me in 2006/2007 by local wine-geek friends who live in Rimini and met up with us in Rome, this place had been a staple with our visits to the city since.

They have a decent food menu that seems to change with fresh market availability and the pasta dishes are highlights - go with any available lasagna special.

Making reservations is highly recommended if showing up at around dinner time, especially for a group > 2.

1 Like

We just drank with minimal snacks they provided, but others were eating and food looked good. Some folks looked like they just went there for food…

Another idea for a higher end apertivo is Achilli al Parlamento. We drank there and really enjoyed it. Depth of list may not be as large or as well priced, but their canapes looked amazing. Would love to go back and actually eat them.

We had dinner there. I thought it was excellent. It’s far from fancy. But we found it to be very enjoyable and satisfying.

1 Like