Best Sandwich? - With Poll

My favorite sandwich is thinly sliced ripe tomatoes, seasoned with Tabasco sauce, sea salt, and black pepper, served between toasted bread.

It’s about time you got some sense ! [pwn.gif]

(BTW, I’m the Lion ! )

It’s another Chanukah miracle!

Pastrami and corned beef on seeded rye with deli mustard. Nothing beats that.

Haven’t had many Monte Cristos but when it’s done right it’s quite impressive on flavor with such common ingredients. You guys in southern California that have had one at the old Arches in Newport Beach know what I’m talking about.

So. Many. Good. Sandwiches. Hard to choose even three.

However a BLT at its best with a peak ripe tomato, good crisp bacon and great toasted bread is hard to top

A nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe.

Hot Pastrami with mustard and pickles, on a toasted French roll.

Philly Cheese Steak is me 3rd.

No Veal sandwich?!? Nice fried veal cutlet, tomatoes, sweet peppers, mushrooms… [thumbs-up.gif]

Otherwise in really good tomato season a nice bacon (thick, a little chewy) and tomato sandwich is near perfection. Also have to list a good peanut butter sandwich (crunchy, not too sweet peanut butter with nutella) and a big glass of cold milk.

[cheers.gif]

I voted for Cubano, BLT and Grilled Cheese but there are terrible versions of each.
For us South FL folks, I will add a great grilled hogfish to the list

Not sure if you’d consider it a terrible version, but we make a riff of a Grilled Cheese from chef Eric Greenspan. He has a grilled cheese shop now, and this one originated at the defunct Foundry. His has some braised short-rib meat, an apricot-caper purée, Telleggio cheese, on a raisin breade. We just use regular bread. A brand called Dave’s has a dense white bread that’s good for grilled cheese. We use a blend of cheeses, typically Munster and Fontina. Rather than the apricot-caper purée, we grill shallots with some dried cherries, apricots, or raisins. Not the purists grilled cheese, but they are a hit.

You put cheese and cole slaw on your pastrami, so you’re prohibited from voting on this poll.

If everyone agreed with the tip, Animal House, coleslaw, star spangled banner, and Holiday song hating ministers of style; who would there be to debate with? Someone’s gotta be the foil and I’m not gonna sit hear and let you bad-mouth the United States of. America! :slight_smile:

Come to my house for the Super Bowl party one year. I am sure you will find the food appealing along with plenty of good wine. That grilled cheese is a hit for events. For the SuperBowl we do Langer’s pastrami at halftime as tradition. I’d say a third of the crowd goes for straight meat. A third goes for the coleslaw and cheese, and a third goes for one or the other.

The most popular sandwich in L.A. (Followed closely by the Godmother at Bay Cities) is the Langer’s #19:
image.jpg

You can do as you see fit, wrong though it may be.

Now excuse me while I dip my lumpia in catsup.

Flawed poll! Philly Cheesesteak. Such an oversight.

RT

FYP.

If it’s Jufran Banana (ketchup) Sauce we might have to proclaim you an honorary Filipino. Btw, I’m from Pittsburgh, Heinz ketchup goes with everything. Who even says Catsup???
Are you guys still putting diced tomatoes on your hot-dogs?

Dammit! I knew I should have said mustard.

And it’s tomato WEDGES John, not diced. Seriously man, what is the matter with you?

If you mean f*cked it. Yes…you did.

Craig Laban - Food Critic, Philadelphia Inquirer:

“I spend most of my time touting the latest highlights of the cosmopolitan dining scene that Philadelphia has become. But this city is also rich in some more enduring iconic foods, and the pride in our old traditions runs deep.”…“If only it were so simple. The truth is that a transcendent steak must exist in perfect harmony, an ethereal melding of cheese and onion and juicy meat, swirling at the height of its flavors through your roll at that very moment you take a bite. Call it the perfect storm of steaks.”

During the Summer of 2006, 3 graduating college Seniors traveled the Philly Cheesesteak Circuit with Craig Laban in search of the best. One summarized his findings: “I have known the true greatness of cheese mixed with fried onions and fried-up steak, because I have Philly running through my veins (along with lots of cholesterol). … Now that I’m about to head out to the Midwest for college, only now that I am leaving the world of cheesesteaks behind, can I reflect on how lucky I was.”

RT