Best Primitivo sub $30

Are there really many (any?) Primitivos that are over $30? I must admit, I’ve probably only had a total of 3-4 bottles of Primitivo in my life, but they were all in the $13-$23 range. I would assume that even if much more expensive Primitivo exists, one could fine a “best in class” Primitivo for around $30. I also have a vague sense that I’d rather spend more for Negroamaro (or a Negro/Primitivo blend) than Primitivo, although that’s admittedly not based on a a whole lot of experience with either (and also perhaps a bias toward Negroamaro just because it seems a little more unique/novel than Primitivo a/k/a Zinfandel as well as having a little more mysterious flavor profile).

That’s what I figured too. Wine searcher shows a bunch higher, but I just imagined minimal improvement. Ideally I will find a bottle I enjoy for $15. My every day negroamaro is 2010 Cosimo Taurino Salice Salentino Riserva, which I usually pay about $14. Although I enjoy the primitivos that I do drink, I just cant help but get this feeling that old world and primitivo have much more potential than what I have experienced. I do prefer Negroamaro though and I don’t anticipate that will change.

Natalino del Prete’s Negroamaro (was trying to avoid thread drift) are among my favorites. But, you should know beforehand, these are not for those that drink /prefer modern styles.

I will see if I can track these down to try! I see they make several bottlings, but I’ll try whatever I can find.

More exciting to me then. I like to to explore a bit of history and culture through wines, so even if it is not my preference I will be happy to have experienced it. In fact I’m sad that things are only getting more and more homogeneous. Would you consider Cosimo Taurino Salice Salentino Riserva modern?

20++ years ago, I was drinking Cosimo’s wines at least a few times a week. Tremendous value, and in a style I loved. But, when he suddenly passed away, and the kids took over, the style shift for me was an assault to my senses. Modern goo. They may have well corrected the style toward something Cosimo and I would actually drink, but I’ve really not looked back - it’ll never be the same for me. Wow his wines could age! And the value they represented, unreal.

Indeed - there is a massive difference in experience from the 13-14% alc. ones I enjoy (though I don’t drink too many outside of trips to Italy) and the 16-17% alc ones that appear more critically popular. You may well not enjoy what I enjoy.

sad to hear. I have been cautious about the 2011 but soon will have to go for it because I have only 14 left of the 2010 and I plan on saving a few for a couple of years as well. I think it is worth a try to go back. Hopefully it will be reminiscent.

I just grabbed a pair of Natalino del Prete Anne, Natali, and Torre Nova. Hopefully will try one of each in Feb or March. Thanks again.

prego

Have you had any issues with corked bottles? I’m not having any luck tonight. I opened 3 tonight and all 3 were corked. 2x 2017 Torre Nova and 1x 2017 Anne. The first Torre Nova was by far the worst of the 3 and also was a bit fizzy. I will probably call the store tomorrow, but just curious if others had this issue.

Just tried the 4th. Same deal. It was actually the bottle of Anne that was a bit fizzy. So was the 2nd bottle, so that may have been intended. Rough night.

Incorrect.

Gioia del Colle Primitivo is the only DOC that is 100% Primitivo, so in this case Brig gets the ding ding.

Falerno del Massico Primitivo and Primitivo di Manduria DOCs require at least 85% Primitivo, not 100%.

Furthermore Terra d’Otranto Primitivo and Matera Primitivo DOCs require at least 90% Primitivo, so even those go ahead of Primitivo di Manduria.

Bedrock OV Zin is my go-to, widely available example of Primitivo/Zinfandel/Crljenak Kaštelanski/Tribidrag.

As far as Puglia, I tend to gravitate more toward Negroamaro than Primitivo. Cantele Sanlice Salentino Riserva, Taurino Notarparano, and Cupertinum Cantina Sociale Cooperativa di Copertino Rosso Riserva are highly recommended everyday wines that you can find in the mid teens or less. (Taurino Patriglione is more expensive, but I had an amazing 1985 a couple of years ago.) So far, I have yet to find a Southern Italian Primitivo that I like nearly as much as any of these.

FWIW, I don’t seem to “get” Nero di Troia - the wines that I’ve tried have all had a tannin smoked salmon note that I personally find unappealing. [cry.gif]

1 Like

I am a fan of Taurino’s Notarparano, but actually prefer their slightly cheaper Salice Salentino. Just bought a few 2007 Patriglione as well, but have yet to try. giving it a few more weeks to avoid any bottle shock.

I finally just had Bedrock OV as well. I liked it, but wasn’t as excited as I was hoping. How long would you let the 2018 breathe? And any thoughts on how the 2018 is compared to other vintages?

I actually have not opened a 2018 Bedrock OVZ yet - wish I could be more hepful here - but previous vintages seemed to benefit from being opened 2+ hours in advance in my experience.

Hope you enjoy the Patriglione!

I rarely drink Primitivo but the only one I have in cellar and the last one I drank was: Polvanera 17 Primitivo Gioia del Colle. It’s not really my cup of tea but with the right food, it works. The people I opened it with seemed to enjoy it quite a lot.