Best Pop & Pour under $40 That's Readily Available

Foillard Cote du Py

But I don’t understand why anyone would by 20 cases of a single wine when there’s so much good stuff out there [scratch.gif]

1 Like

+100, if you can find it for under $40

I was gonna say, Foillard has crept up on price lately, but I think the quality is there to warrant it

on a quick look this would have to make my list.

Raul Perez La Vitoriana

Lopez de Heredia Cubillo

+1 on Raul Perez Ultreia St Jacques, that’s a fantastic wine year in year out, and a crowd pleaser across the spectrum of wine consumers. Another great Spanish red that fits the bill is Envinate’s baseline ‘Albahra’ bottling. I’ve already gone though half a case this year of the 2020. It’s usually about $20-$25. They have a no-sulfite bottling that is still called Albahra but has a more distinctive label and is designated ‘Chingao’. It’s usually low $30s and is also delicious. Finally, agree with above posters about Desire Lines’ Winds of Change. I just got my shipment of 2020s this morning!

I read the OP to be asking for a house pour. 20 cases does sound like a lot, but if you entertain frequently, or you just want something you can drink after a hard day’s work that is interesting but familiar so you don’t have to think about it too much, I can see it. Out of my league, but not irrational.

Has anyone tried the Brochelle Zinfandel [Paso Robles]?

Ridge Geyserville (zin blend)
Produttori Barbaresco
Baudry Chinon Les Grezeaux

If you can’t get Foillard under $40 see about Daniel Bouland Morgon Delys.

These are nice wines but maybe 10 yr cellar plus decant rather than pop and pour…

Those never last here more than a month :slight_smile:.

Produttori del Barbaresco is also over $40 now.

Shebang sounds so wrong!

2017 is awesome!

In some markets, with case discounts, you can still find the wine for $36-$39/bottle. I’m really hoping that holds until the release od the 2019 Barbaresco.

This may be the best answer, depending on one’s definition of “available.” Even better is that it can be had for only ~$25.

Anything Thivin. Year after year.

But then again, every single time I pop a Lapierre Morgon Sans Soufre, I always ask myself, is there a better red wine in this price range. Fabulous wine.

I could be wrong about the name, but I think it’s origin comes from when Morgan Twain Peterson had some leftover, unclassified barrels, they used them to blend the wine. So the wine is the “whole shebang.”

I can pay $55 for Geyserville too. Should I?

I agree the Produttori can be found for less than 40, especially if buying in large quantity, but I don’t know that many people enjoy this young as a pop and pour kind of wine. I mean that’s great if you do, but I would think most people would want to give this a significant amount of time or else a significant decant, which is very different than what the OP was asking for. Even their Langhe can be reticent when very young, depending on the vintage.

I guess I’d say the same of Geyserville. I’ve only had them young and they are overwhelmed by oak. I have some I am aging but I’m skeptical of how long it is going to take for the oak to integrate. You would have to really, really like American Oak to enjoy these wines young.

1 Like