Best place to sell a few cases of wine?

This thread is complete BS. Just ask at the next Offline and you can probably unload it to the rest of the AFWEs.

I bought all these wines to drink but my wine consumption keeps going down and I really want to redo the bathroom…

Well, they’re pretty much equivalent . . .

Anyway, you end up giving away something no matter what your approach. If you sell on CC and offer the friends and family discount, you leave money on the table. If you sell through Acker or one of the auction houses, they take their piece off the top and some of them also want a minimum dollar value. Not sure what it is now but I think Acker used to require that the value of your collection be at least $10K. And if you sell through a retailer, you’ll have to discount for them.

All in all, I’d either do CC, or if you don’t want to hassle with shipping, etc., go talk to Jamie at Chambers. He’ll be fair with you and take care of everything.

Or, only sell half of it and just get the bathroom painted and re-grouted. It will look like new!

Hope you’re well these days!

[cheers.gif]

I didn’t realize you had taken a job with Rudy Giuliani.

Their “piece off the top” is a 3% handling fee.

I’ve never come across a minimum, no less a $10k minimum. If the consignment is a very small dollar amount (not sure what that number is but a consignment that includes 48 bottles of wines like '96 Gouges will be well over the min), they will charge you a fee to pickup the wines and bring them to their warehouse.

Sorry, I’m coveting a walk in shower with a rainforest showerhead.

Considering the events of the last few months I’m doing remarkably well!

Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense to me (not that you need my affirmation). Hope it works out for you .

Those 96 gouges are coming around!

The auction market is softening. Mixed case lots, even of great wines, are not generating that much demand. See the Golodetz sale thread. Factor in the fees and I suspect your return will be low.

I think the better route would be Commerce Corner, although you’d have to deal with multiple individual transactions.

I’ve used Flatiron for consignments similar to yours, Jay. Their prices were fair, they picked everything up and the transactions were smooth overall.

Jay, I’ve done this many times with K&L wines–3-6 cases at a time, bottles anywhere from $40 to $400, when I lived in Oregon. Quite pleased with the results. Moved to Florida two years go, so I had to stop. But as of August 1st, out-of-state retailers can ship to Florida . . . which means I can ship wines back to K&L. May start up again. Just a narrower shipping window. Good luck.

In Colorado at least, I can still ship wine to a retailer even if they can no longer ship to me, ie K&L.

True that. But I’ve still found K&L’s free estimates quite good. Either they’re conservative to begin with or they’ve successfully recalibrated.

Assuming they’re wines of interest to WBers, you’ll realize more moneys though CC. But it’ll take more effort selling and shipping and collecting. So it’s just a trade off for you.

I’ve had good luck with Hart Davis Hart.

Softening from diamond to corundum?

I await corroboration before I open one of mine.

Had good luck with K&L a few years back.

If I post some wine on Commerce Corner I was thinking 20% off the average auction price shown in Cellartracker might be fair/appropriate? What do people think?

It would be only for Jersey City/NYC pickup. Or I suppose Wilmington, DE as I’ll be down there in December visiting friends.

Also - Yaacov I remember you emailing me regarding this but for some reason I can’t find the email. If I remember correctly please resend.

Any recent experiences with Winebid vs K&L? I submitted nearly the same list as I sent to Commerce Corner here — basically bunch of new world mostly cabs that go for anywhere from 30 bucks or so to 500+. WineBid will pickup for free and take the whole lot. K&L will auction most of them, but not interested in about 25% of the list (other than to buy outright at a price that makes shipping it a ridiculous idea). They also require me to pay for overnight shipping to them (several cases from VA to CA).

Basically across the board K&L gave me higher estimates for what the wines might fetch at auction. Any thoughts? Is Winebid more conservative? Does K&L do better with new world wines vs WineBid (or all wines)? K&L actually said they start the reserve prices on the low side to encourage bidding. Just taking their “low estimate” (which is above the reserve price) is a good 20-25% higher than WineBid’s reserve.

I’ve consigned to both of them and ultimately found that Winebid’s pickup service was just so much more convenient than having to pack up the wines and pay for the shipping. Since I’m in NYC, cross country shipping was pretty expensive too. I think what I ultimately received from K&L didn’t justify the hassle of shipping and given that they don’t ship to NY, I didn’t have the option to get store credit.

That’s what worries me too… I’m at just over 100 bottles of wine that they want … so like 10 case boxes. In a non-Covid world, I’d just fly out there with my wife since I get 3 free “bags” per person on Delta and I always end up needing a few mileage runs every year anyways… I guess I’ll have to work out the math of slightly lower commission — 10% vs 15% — and use their low estimate to see if spending that kind of money on shipping will be worth it. Suppose it’s also worth considering waiting till the Fall and shipping 3-day or ground…