"Best" Pizza Dough Mixer for High Hydration

The longer ferments even not for just flavor standpoint but digestibility is much nicer. I’m not necessarily a sourdough stan, but I don’t really enjoy super super bready pizza crusts that you NEED to dip in something or you will choke to death…

I thought Lucali’s for example was a bit too dry… My wife loved Lucali’s and would wait again.

Haven’t been in 2 years but Lucali is tops for me - I love it. And they don’t do anything special.

My sourdough bread isn’t very sour at all. It’s super fresh and active when I use it - about 20% leaven. Usually do18 hours cold ferment and then straight into the oven. Flavor gets much better on day 2. Also been using about 50% very fresh local wheat which adds a really deep ashy / bitter note.

Allison and I went to the new location for the first time a few weeks ago. Waited about 20 minutes in a light drizzle. When we finished our slices, we both looked at each other and said that it wasn’t that great. I chalked it up to it was a Sunday and maybe it was the second string pizza maker on duty. I hope that’s it and what we had isn’t the new reality.

They did something innovative, but they are not currently being innovative. I felt like the milling flour might have been a gimmick. Sure, maybe when the owner was there things were different but I heard an interesting phrase from Gary Vaynerchuck I believe and something to the effect of “Don’t think that employees will ever care more about the business than you.”

1 Like

What you are saying makes sense. A couple friends were also disappointed and Scarr’s was recently removed from the “pizza section” of the New York Times top 100 restaurants in NYC.

Tom

2 Likes

Jeebus this heavy

My wife would kill me if I bought one of those justifiably

1 Like

1-2 years ago my wife would too, but now she actually likes me. :rofl:

“jk” but we’ve decided being happy in life is more important than have the most aesthetic home.

haha…….Indeed ugly like hell. On the other hand if it does its job well.