Best Pinot Noir wines from the Santa Barbara/Santa Maria area

Ken,

Great adds … . and I gotta say that both of these guys are making some of their best wines NOW, 30-40 years after starting making wines in our area! I haven’t had Rick’s pinots in awhile (had his tempranillo and albarino recently and dug em both), but just had some of Ken’s current pinot releases - very nice indeed!

Larry is 100% correct - there are lots to choose from in varying styles. Joe is particularly unique in that he holds wine until he thinks it is ready to be released. Au Bon Climat, Dierberg, D’Alfonso-Curran, Flying Goat, Fiddlehead, Loring, Melville, Brewer Clifton, the list does goes on and on.

Man…SO MANY great options…SO MANY already listed. Great stuff!

A couple new ones…Kimberly Smith’s La Montagne and Frankie and Jake’s Lindley label. Both have roots in Clos Pepe and follow a beautiful, delicate, lively style. Kessler-Haak was listed previously…but I love their stuff, especially for the price point. And if you taste with Dan and Ellen, you will have an amazing time. Such great people. One more not on here, Ernst Storm’s wines are SICK! Drake Whitcraft is doing great work as well.

Another nod for Sandhi wines. Really great Pinot.

Has anyone tasted the Gregg Linn wines? What happened to Ambullneo?

Ambullneo folded several years ago - I don’t know the story behind that. Their former assistant winemaker Dieter Cronje has been the winemaker from the start for Presqu’ile - I’ve liked the Pinots I’ve tasted from them so far.

Best = Arcadian.

Interesting thread. I started another one about Sanguis Loner r 12 b and nobody responded. I honestly believe this is one of the best pinots I have ever tasted in my life. Given that I have less than a hundred posts on here I don’t have a lot of credibility with that statement.

Still, credibility has to start somewhere. I feel comfortable with this for a first step.

I am arguing that it is a huge first step.

No offense, but I really hate this question because you’re going to get a million different answers, from a million different people. Ultimately, you’ll need to decide for yourself. Read the typical magazine reviews, spend some time on this forum and do some research, and taste as much wine as financially possible. With that being said, the best winery is obviously Frass Canyon.

+1. Great people and great wine. Their vineyard is as west as almost possible in Sta. Rita Hills. perched up on top of a windy hill, and I am excited for the first estate wines from this vineyard (2012’s), the barrel samples were beautiful. In the meantime the “La Lomita” is available, the 2011 is especially delicious. As a disclaimer I have volunteered helping Jake harvest & bottle in the past.

Don’t knock Frass - they actually produce some very good pinots both from the Sta Rita Hills and from Bien Nacido . . .

Larry, perhaps I didn’t phrase it well. My point was not to avoid trying those other producers - I’ve had Chanin and really like it. Have had Sandhi, Au Bon Climat,
Sanford, Foxen and many others named here and enjoyed some of their pinots. What I really meant to say is try the many good producers listed, but for me Arcadian stands head and shoulders above as the best. And that is a statement I will stand by.

Please don’t take my joke literally. I was simply being hypocritical of my own self but at the same time I didn’t want insert my own winery preferences into this discussion. Thus the fictional winery name.

Especially back when you were making them, Larry…your vintages got some 90’s there.

Which brings me to your favorite topic…when is your pinot being released? :wink:

I used to be on the Babcock mailing list and liked their Pinots and Syrahs. My favorite from Melville was the Verna’s Estate Pinot Noir. I haven’t tried any Fiddlehead Cellars Pinot Noirs from Kathy Joseph recently but they might also be worth a try. I have liked the Roessler Pinot Noir from Alma Rosa’s La Encantada Vineyard.
I’m glad someone mentioned Longoria–I forgot to include that.

Lots of good recs so far, just two that I don’t see that merit mention:

Zotovich
Transcendence

Very much like the stuff being put out by Frankie and Jake. And love their own vineyard — so much so I started buying fruit from them in 2014. Very excited about that.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

RAD, ADAM!!!

BTW folks, my avatar is me trying Frankie & Jake’s first estate fruit…amazing stuff. Emotional day…lot of the barrels they hadn’t even tried yet.

Lindley + 2

i would love to host you at Domaine de la Cote and Sandhi. we are located in the wine ghetto in Lompoc. feel free to email me rparr@domainedelacote.com
thanks!