Best Pairing for Peking Duck

Normally tea or Tsingtao
Is Peking Duck universally coming with the miniature pancakes, cucumber and spring onions and the special sauce?

Pegau is the perfect match.

Will toss vintage port in to the ring, have had many offlines and other meals at PDH downtown and midtown. Champagne, pinot gris/grigio, sauternes also went very well with their duck.

A lot of restaurants are moving towards bao buns instead of pancakes these days. Can’t say I really approve.

Yes, at least the ones that do it right. Not sure that a great match exists for this dish. Can’t really jam wine in where it does not fit. Sometimes beer is the answer.

I think that demi-sec, or a cool vintage Moelleux Chenin Blanc would be interesting to try.

It always comes with the marinade on crispy skin - that’s what Peking Duck is. If they serve it with a sauce, that’s either made on the site or purchased and it’s usually going to have a slightly sweet note. But you don’t have to slather it on. The issue for me is fermented soy with the salty/sweet overlay just kills most wine. I can understand people suggesting beer, but I don’t drink beer so that’s out.

But that’s why oxidized wines work - they already have a bit of a caramel note and a savory/sweet component of their own.

Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Chenin Blanc, Semmillon or any medium acid white with some fruit sounds about right. Couldn’t go wrong with Pinot Noir or an aged Rhone Syrah.

Champagne and/or Austrian whites (or German GG/Trockens) all work. The acidity helps wipe away the richness/heaviness of the duck, and complements the sweetness of hoisin sauce.

For reds, we usually do Pinot/Burg and/or Nebbiolo or CdP, but I’m not sure I’ve ever found the “perfect” pairing (although these all work fine). I intend to try Foillard Cote du Py soon…might be perfect

Burgundy. With the duck part. The fatty crispy skin. Money.

Exactly. Skip the hoisin and accoutrements.

Trying to pair the hoisin part is like trying to pair wine with ketchup.

Yah usually i’ll drink the burg before the duck is served… (with say suckling pig… droolll).

then when the duck’s served, i’ll eat a couple of wraps with all the sauce/onion etc… and not drink wine.

then go to duck only w/ wine.

Roast squab and aged red burg is the perfect pairing for me.

drool… It just has to be done right… or the squab is just soft/fatty.
getting it crisp but still moist… flirtysmile flirtysmile

Hosin is a wine killer for me. Sherry is the easiest for me. A good Amontillado.

I speak:

Burgundy / Pinot Noir.
Either young or very aged.
With the absolute caveat that the hoisin sauce is nothing more than a needle-thin line!
along with the equally thin line of scallion.
No cucumber.
Equal parts skin and duck meat.
Pancakes, not puffy stuff:
NO FAT!!!

Living in the boonies, Peking Duck is come and go in my house. Now I can drive to a residential neighborhood in Portland, or I have to make it at home (ridiculously time-consuming and labor-intensive). Until ~4 years ago, I could order it from a place only 9 miles away.

Please note:
I order a whole duck, not cut up.
When I get it home, I puncture the skin a few hundred times with a needle-thin serving fork.
I heat the oven to very hot.
I put the duck in upside down, cook it until all of the fat is gone, nothing left but crackling mahogany skin and meat moistened tenderized by the fat having dripped through it.

This is not traditional. King Fung in Boston used to be a destination for Peking Duck. The only people I ever saw in there were Chinese (60%) and wine geeks (40%). BYOB, no corkage. I remember seeing Haut Brion and DRC Richebourg on tables. They served pancakes with skin, then duck, then duck soup. That’s traditional. I do it the way I like it.

Burgundy / Pinot Noir IMO are perfect. This is my single favorite wine and food match, but everything else sounds great, particularly Pegau [thankyou.gif] , which I import [wink.gif] .

Dan Kravitz

I was at Peking Duck House NY about this this time last year and had a great match with Zin. Biale “Aldo’s” I believe.

Tsing Tao if you insist on keeping it regional, or IMO a Belgian abby or dubbel.

When I get it home, I puncture the skin a few hundred times with a needle-thin serving fork.
I heat the oven to very hot.
I put the duck in upside down, cook it until all of the fat is gone, nothing left but crackling mahogany skin and meat moistened tenderized by the fat having dripped through it.

But the fat doesn’t prevent the meat from being overcooked, right?

Remember the spring onions