Best new dishwasher for stemware

We’re on our 3rd Bosch over the decades and they work fine for our stemware Riedel/Spiegelau/SchottZweisel (sp?). Just got a new one and been happy with it, seems to do a little better job than the old replaced one.

Unless you’re in the position where you can have a separate d/w for a bar area or something, I think the reliability and performance are more important than whether its the absolute single best for stemware.

I am amazed with how quiet these things have gotten over the years. It’s almost painful to use a rental condo’s d/w when traveling nowadays…

+1

I couldn’t run my old one when I had guests!

We recently replaced our Miele with a new Miele but have never washed my stems in it.
I would appreciate any practical advice as to how you do that…what rack, how you place them, do they have a special accessory rack for stemware, what settings, etc.
Thanks.

Whatever manufacturer you choose see if in their accessories they have stemware racks that fit into the washer. If not you could take measurements and go to a restaurant supply store and see what racks they have that will fit.

Bosch does great on our GGs. We had to add an acid neutralizer because of our well water and hardness became a problem. I fixed that by putting a very small measuring bowl of white vinegar (~2oz) on the upper glass rack and all dishware comes out great again.

1 Like

My plain old Kitchenaid cleans glasses perfectly. I use tablets and rinse aid.

I have used a Fisher & Paykl and now an Asko and had good luck with both and no broken glasses. They usually come out spotless.

I’m wondering why the majority seem to think that Miele is superior. What is it about Miele vs. the field that sets them apart?

I’m in the market for a new dishwasher and currently have a Bosch, which is fine, but it like others I’ve had doesn’t do as good a job of drying as I’d like. I often have residual water after a cycle and I hate that resting on the bottoms of my stems. I end up having to dry them by hand.

I’m very fond of my Miele.

I think the only way to completely avoid the residual water is to get one with a heated drying element. But our Miele does a pretty good job because it automatically pops the door open and runs the fan at the end of the cycle. It’s the best I’ve seen of any dishwasher without the heating element, but it can’t really compete with those.

I can’t speak to if or why it would be better than Bosch; I (probably like most here) haven’t installed multiple brands at home to test run them. I bought it based on a combination of recommendations and features (built-in water softener, the drying system, racking style, etc.), and have been very happy with it. But it’s entirely possible there are others that are as good or better.

Question - if you’re hosting lots of people frequently, or you sell wine and folks are coming by to taste, I can understand it, but otherwise why put them in a dishwasher at all? When I re-did our kitchen I didn’t include a dishwasher and in other places I’ve lived, I’ve never actually used them. We had a dozen people over this week and it took me around five minutes to wash all the glassware. When I hosted wine tastings I still did them by hand and there would be 144 glasses to clean. If the dishwasher doesn’t save time and may injure your glasses, what is the benefit?

Unless you get one of those that is specifically made for glassware.

My apartment has a Chinese dishwasher…never a broken wine glass.

I think both hand washing and using the dishwasher are fine options. I used to be in the hand washing group but I’ve discovered over the last several years that putting my stems in the dishwasher saves hassle and injury. Plenty of other anecdotal stories seem to corroborate this.

Greg, are you saying that you don’t use a dishwasher for any of your dishes? If so, wow.

From Maximillian Riedel:

“That our high-end glassware can be perfectly and gently washed in a Miele machine is nothing new to us. A Miele dishwasher makes it easy to care for your glasses perfectly. To ensure that our glasses are cleaned gently, we specifically recommend that they are washed in a Miele dishwasher. This produces better results than washing them by hand.”

No need to get fancy—I use a cheap Frigidaire Gallery for Zaltos and Grassls on a quick 45-minute cycle and everything turns out crystal clear.

Miele with:

1. automatic door open to ensure all glassware are fully dried
  2. rack modifications - you can buy accessory rack parts to increase the glass holding capacity

Had mine since 2009 and it has been flawless.

-mark

1. I have broken glasses washing them by hand (not a lot, but more than zero); I have NEVER had one break in the dishwasher.
  2. They come out equally clean from the dishwasher (at least to my non-discerning eye).
  3. All else being equal, I prefer to do zero manual labor.

But if you prefer to wash by hand, please be my guest. I’m not going to stop you.

We have a high end Bosch with heated drying. Typically, it does a good job. I use salt for hard water, but don’t use a drying agent.

We have a new Miele in France. We researched it vs Bosche. We are really pleased with it.

One reason is that a dishwasher uses a LOT less water than hand washing. Also gets things cleaner, more quickly. When my wife cooks something like banana bread, the loaf pan takes forever to clean out. Comes out spotless from the dishwasher. We mostly drink out of the Riedel red wine glasses (what you often see at big events), and they go into the dishwasher very easily.