Best Merlot Vineyards

If I was independently wealthy I would snag a couple cases of the 2016 Karen. One of my favorite wines to date. Also I had forgot about Ehlers, also a delicious merlot, as I’m sure many of these are.

1 Like

I completely forgot about Sinskey…they made great Merlot

Pride Merlot with age on it is excellent. There is something about that dried mountain fruit that is magical . . .

Back in the day: 91-97 La Jota, 91- 97 Beringer Bancroft Ranch and even older Duckhorn Three Palms.

This thread got me digging in to some details of a few wines mentioned. In a few cases, I was able to compare wine making methods from the same winery for their merlot and cabernet. For those, I noticed that merlot either spent less time on oak or the percentage of new oak was lower.

In broad strokes, is this generally true? I think it makes sense with the lower tannin levels but al uncertain.

I often find too much vanilla aroma and flavor in Napa cabs to be off putting . Less oak on a different Bordeaux varietal might make sense for me.

Paloma, Pride, Switchback Ridge

another vote for the (former, no longer available, been sold) Michael Black vineyard

The 2014 is a fantastic QPR as well, picked some up on Vivino a few months ago for I believe $30 a bottle.

I don’t know which is “best”, but I think the vineyards that Andrew Will uses for their Merlot-based vineyard designates should be part of the discussion. I haven’t had any California Merlot-based wines with significant age, which I think is necessary to really gauge quality.

I grew up near this vineyard. I never knew the name of it- only knew it as the vineyard with the “Don’t Tread On Me” flag flying above it in the 00’s

1 Like

I forgot that the “Bancroft Ranch Vineyard” had been replanted. However, I wouldn’t avoid a vineyard that had been replanted to the same variety that is still under the care of the same company, personally. The late '90s “Bancroft Ranch” Merlot wines were enchanting. Beringer made some great Merlot back then.

In retail-work days of old, I had countless opportunities to drink Nickel & Nickel Merlot from “Suscol Ranch” (Carneros?), “Harris Vyd” (Oakville), and “Sori Bricco” (Diamond Mt). The local distribution reps held several dinners and guided tastings.

It’s been some time since I sought out any Napa Valley reds - particularly Merlot. I suppose that my love for other varieties has given me tunnel vision.

Re: Bancroft, fair enough! And I believe there are a couple 2016’s in my cellar……

Bought a three-pack from Pride Mountain in 2020 after tasting there. Haven’t cracked one yet.

Pride
Paloma
Switchback Ridge
Old Pahlmeyer 90’s
Old Berringer Howell Mt 90’s
Lewis Cellars

FWIW

Red Hen is #6

This. Wine served at our wedding head table unfortunately way to young.

switchback

Another vote for Keenan. Their Mailbox vineyard is a nice step up from the regular bottling.

No love for Haven’s? Not sure anyone can even secure this wine anymore?

The Sandlands Coombsville Merlot was from the “Michael Black Vineyard”. I doubt it’s stylistically in the same vein as some of the plush, round reds of the 1990s, but it might be worth a buy in the future…

from “TN: 2017 Sandlands Merlot (USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville)” Wine Berserkers thread
July 11, 2020

Oh, and +1 on the Ehlers Estate Merlot!