Pride
Paloma
Switchback Ridge
Old Pahlmeyer 90’s
Old Berringer Howell Mt 90’s
Lewis Cellars

FWIW

Red Hen is #6

This. Wine served at our wedding head table unfortunately way to young.

switchback

Another vote for Keenan. Their Mailbox vineyard is a nice step up from the regular bottling.

No love for Haven’s? Not sure anyone can even secure this wine anymore?

The Sandlands Coombsville Merlot was from the “Michael Black Vineyard”. I doubt it’s stylistically in the same vein as some of the plush, round reds of the 1990s, but it might be worth a buy in the future…

from “TN: 2017 Sandlands Merlot (USA, California, Napa Valley, Coombsville)” Wine Berserkers thread
July 11, 2020

Oh, and +1 on the Ehlers Estate Merlot!

Look up Cave Dog. That is Michael Havens, and he sold at Wineberserker Day this year. Not sure if he is offering a merlot, but his blend is terrific, just as it was back in the Haven’s days.

Mike Reff wrote:
No love for Haven’s? Not sure anyone can even secure this wine anymore?

I just saw some Havens Merlot discounted at Costco when I was there this past weekend. I don’t remember the vintage and think it was around $15. I will buy one if it is still there this weekend.

Ed

I like Ridge!

Leonetti from Washington State is as good as any (Walla Walla).

Jim,
thanks for the tip, might have to check this out, as well as the Godello

Good call on Leonetti. Terrific Merlot, although it needs time to show all its got.

Wish I could afford more of it!

Thanks all, ended up buying a mixed case with many of the suggestions here; all 2018. Should be a fun tasting in a few years.

Not one Merlot disappointment from this defunct estate, across its pre-1997 vintages.

1 Like

Paloma, Pride and Duckhorn are solid. Obviously priced considerably higher and a dominant merlot but not 100%, but SE (Second) Flight is damn tasty as well and much more approachable young than it’s big Cabernet brother.

Well Washington has some excellent vineyards…Northridge, Southridge, Dionysus, Tapteil, and Champoux.

In CA a big fan of Banrcroft as mentioned prior.

2 Likes

For the money my bet is in Washington!