Best home cellar cooling unit?

What are the advantages to a cellarpro split cooling system 3000S vs. any normal air conditioning split unit from Home Depot? Is there special technology in Cellarpro that is worth the added cost? The Cellarpro would be about $3000, while the regular brands at home depot would be $1000. In BTU/hr, the regular air conditioners would be more powerful.

CellarPro allows higher humidity than a normal home AC system.

The CellarPro has a mid-level compressor allowing temperatures down to the low 50’s which is not possible with unaltered air conditioning. And as David said, higher humidity levels with a lot of the condensation that is discharged with conventional air conditioning being recycled for humidity. Another consideration is that insurance often will not cover failure of air conditioning but will cover failure of refridgeration.

Wine-mate units and customer service are terrible.

Great success w/ my Wine Guardian ducted unit. Super quiet and efficient.

This is correct, refrigeration equipment generally has a higher airflow and more evaporator coil area which ends up giving you a “warmer” leaving coil condition than a unit used for HVAC.

I recommend you look at a mis-matched mini split system, with the indoor unit (evaporator) at least one and maybe two sizes larger than the outside (condensing) unit. That way you get the increased coil surface area and the higher airflow you need.

After having a Breezaire for about 10 yrs, I decided to go with a Coolbot and window AC unit. I don’t use a split system, but you can use the Coolbot with regular home split systems. Just a huge amount cheaper. There might be cheaper AC hack methods, but the Coolbot is fairly non-technical and simple.

+1 on Coolbot. Paul Galli’s method can work, but I had to tweak it too much. Coolbot automates the same concept (tricking the AC to think it’s warmer than it is so it runs more) and mine has been going for a few years now. I figure I’m way ahead even if I replace the window unit ever few years (at <$200 each).