Best Hermitage Blanc?

I indulged and tried a '17 Chave Hermitage Blanc and was absolutely blown away. Want to start buying more…what producers/lieu-dits/vintages should I be looking for?

Well, 4 years ago in s dual of '84s, the Guigal Hermitage blanc blew away the Chave, I’ve also liked the Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage Blanc Chevalier de Sterimberg as an affordable option and it generally is quite good by 10-15 yrs.

A recent note:

2015 Marc Sorrel Hermitage Blanc Les Rocoules White Rhone Blend (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Hermitage)

Creamy with tropical fruit (papaya, cherimoya, lychee, and pineapple) with linden, pastille, wax, and crushed stone. Full and round with a finish that has plenty of drive. Despite the higher alcohol, it maintains its balance, particularly at cooler temperatures (93-94).

1 Like

I think white Hermitage can be among the world’s very greatest wines.

Here’s a note from a dinner a few years ago:
2004 Chapoutier Ermitage ‘De l’Oree’ – This was a medium gold color, with beautiful open aromas of quince, bosc pear, mountain meadow flowers and honey. On the palate this had incredible density, richer than 99% of the world’s red wines. Massive as it was, it was beautifully balanced, incredibly light on its feet, with a finish that lasted over half a minute. This is very great wine, tied for my #2 of the evening. Rated 97 points, drink now, but should live to at least double its current age.

non-commercial post:
The business I owned represented the Cave de Tain l’Hermitage. They make two bottlings of white Hermitage. The ‘Grand Classique’ is beautiful and ageworthy. I have about 6 bottles left of the 2010 and they are Special Occasion wines. They have a tiny parcel-selection bottling of Hermitage Blanc ‘Au Coeur des Siècles’ can be very great wine, perhaps in the best vintages on the level of a top bottling from Chapoutier, probably about half the price (which still means 3 digits). It’s a little ‘apples and oranges’, but the top whites from the Northern Rhone are exceptional values when compared to white Burgundy.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

THE BEST? JL Chave! Period.

Also fine: Sorrel Rocules, Belle, old Jaboulet Sterimberg, Remizieres Emilie …
Also Guigal Ex Voto and Chapoutier L’Oree and Meal are outstanding, but made in a modern style …

1 Like

Haven’t tried Chave but the best I’ve had is Dard & Ribo. While their reds are pretty damn natty with the occasional mouse the whites I find pretty classic and extremely well made. Their Hermitage blanc is a true grand vin, as it should be. Don’t care for the synthetic closure, though.

2 Likes

Dard & Ribo? I’ve never heard of that producer. May have to look them up. Thanks!

ok, after checking, looks like they arent brought into the US. Oh well.

Didier Joris and M-T Chappaz Ermitage as we call it in the true northern rhone aka Switzerland

1 Like

Unfortunately it is a very small production wine - of course the OP only asked for the best without any mention of availability :wink:

I’ve had that a few times and have really enjoyed it.
For me, Chave is the top.

I had a red H. a few years ago (which was good, not great), but never a white one from this producer (Dard & Ribo).
I also had a fine white H.1991 from Robert Michelas a month ago (see Burgundy and Rhone white and red - and others ... ), but I doubt that it´s easily available

1 Like

Chave white Hermitage is just an amazing wine that ages beautifully. We just finished our last bottle of 1999, and the wine was fully developed with no sign of cracking up at all. Indeed, there was almost a freshness that belied the age of the wine. I think Chave Blanc is a better wine than his Rouge. :pile_on:

Well, is Montrachet/DRC a better wine than La Tâche ? :innocent:

I love both … (or all 4)