Best Figeac from barrel? For me, yes.

I think the over/under will be $200, and I would bet on the over.

Prices=prestige, and Figeac in particularly good vintage, will push hard to get as much money as they can, and at the same time, change the pricing structure for the brand.

Mark, have you had the '14 Figeac?

Your take is way too nuanced for many who have turned Rolland into the antichrist (looking at you, counselor). The reviews I have read about the 16 Figeac say that he was brought in to help with the blend, and the blend is overwhelmingly franc and sauvignon, not merlot.

As usual, especially with wines tasted en primeur, I triangulate. With Figeac, everyone loves it, no matter where they fit on the trad/modern continuum. E.g., Jancis:

Lively and very Figeac. Just as it should be. Zesty and confident and of the place. Rich palate entry and then lovely freshness. Firm and glorious. Like an arrow. Very pure. Frédéric Faye and the Manoncourt family should be very proud. Classic. Racy and juicy and beautifully balanced. Long. 14%
Drink 2024-2040
Score: 19

If everyone raves, avoiding the wine because Rolland was on site when the wine was made is not logical, it is dogma.

Now, how much will it cost? If it is roughly what the 2015 was, it will sell briskly, even in a campaign where the wines are moving slowly

Funny you say that, I ride a Dogma. Pinarello.

Yes, liked it enough to buy a few bottles.Slightly more plush than some of the older Figeacs, but less so than the 2009 made by the old regime. Displays some of the austerity of the vintage, but works well with the new added richness.

Marc,

I think you know I was ironic. 100% new oak, 14% alc and Rolland all in one sentence is normally something that will lead to a hefty discussion. Like the antichrist Neal mentioned. I find it interesting that in the case of Figeac the discussion was different.

And btw. only to be clear: Panos did´t loose his senses …

[wink.gif] I don’t know Jurgen, we live in troubled times. some of the finer nuances of irony escape me.

OK, I asked around a bit re Cabernet Franc. First of all, I found that many Pomerols in 2016 stressed power over elegance; tannin levels seemed quite high and one felt that, for example, for many of the Moueix wines, including Hosanna. Here my full report on that: http://wp.me/p5hKse-10A.

I had not tried Le Dome, but generally speaking Cabernet Franc benefitted from a sunny September with cooler nights to retain freshness and lead to silky tannins, and a longer ripening period that favored cooler fruit expressions. Merlot did not benefit as well from all this as it was more affected by the acute dry periods of summer, although the mid September rain certainly helped matters for both CF and Merlot, according to Frederic Faye of Figeac. And the Indian summer’s clean conditions, into the harvest, certainly helped. Finally, at least at Figeac, extraction was soft peddled, so no pigeage and not too much pumping over either to maintain balance, Faye said.

Thanks, Panos. Will be interesting to see release prices. I got a bit disenamored after the jump from 2014 to 2015. Not sure there are bargains anymore among the classified growths…

To echo Mark’s comment on pricing - on my visit in March it seemed that Figeac might be setting themselves up for a push into Classe A. With that in mind I expect they’ll try to push pricing aggressively on this release.

I just bought 3 bottles of the 1998, one of my favorite Figeacs for around $140 a bottle. It seems like a fairly obvious play if you can find well stored examples, especially if the 2016s are going to come in at a much higher price and still need 20+ years. Won’t stop me buying them, but in limited quantities.

Well, being as the lowest web price is $240 for the 98, I’d say you made a wise decision.

20+ years, huh.

Yea, that’s a no-brainer. I was looking for the 1998 last year and was not finding anything under $200.

I am afraid so. 1998 is in the early stages of maturity. I like this stage, but I also like the more evolved Figeacs too, which kick in after about thirty to forty years. The 1970 is a really superb wine, and one of the most complex Bordeaux I have ever tasted.

I bought the 1998 at K&L auction; finding a few interesting buys now as the Summer doldrums begin.

Hmmm. That makes me reconsider the possibility of buying a few 2016 halves. In 20+ years, I am not certain I’ll have the palate to discern the difference.

I would switch to bourbon while you can! Booker Noe lived to, like, 200 years old on a pint of whiskey a day… :wink: