Best domestic Chardonnay?

Ceritas.

I’ve only had a few berserker day bottles but I’ve enjoyed them. However an Aubert blew it away.

Aubert, Mount Eden, Ceritas, Kutch

Very solid choice, but I’d take Marcassin Marcassin Vineyard. Have not tried the highest end Peter Michael though (Point Rouge).

Blend?
Gonna throw a bottle into a blind tasting to mess with people when our group can meet again.

And for me, Ceritas.
I hate the over-ripe, over-extracted, over-oaked Chards.

Rhys and Kutch. These are the only CA Chards I buy anymore and they are both for me wonderful examples of the best.

I would add Shibumi Knoll

Not blend, Cameron’s estate vineyard next to the winery

Aubert, Peter Michael (especially Cuvee Indigene), and The Judge. Also, the Paul Lato chardonnays are really nice, and probably more appealing to people who want something a little more restrained.

With all the recent Walter Scott hype + this thread, I picked up a 2018 Walter Scott Chardonnay La Combe Verte at Grapes the Wine Company in White Plains. Let’s see what all the fuss is about.

dh

My Faves: all lean, bright and with plenty of cut:

California:
Ceritas
Mount Eden
Rhys
Kutch
I Brand
Ladd Cellars
Model Farm

Oregon:
Goodfellow
Cameron
Walter Scott
Vincent

The Ceritas ones are all good, but the Ceritas Zephyr vineyard is the best one out of all them, in my opinion.

Without a doubt…Kongsgaard, The Judge. Grand Cru of domestic Chardonnay. Always flamboyant, yet incredibly graceful.

Ceritas

Stony Hill
Mount Eden
Ceritas
Kalin

Cameron Clos Electrique
Walter Scott X Novo and Seven Springs
Goodfellow Richard’s Cuvee
Eyrie Original Vines

In the last five years, the best American Chardonnay I’ve had was a bottle of Ceritas “Porter Bass.” Second best, Radio Coteau “Wingtine.” Third best, 2008 Marcassin.

But with some Pinot Blanc (and I’ve seen hints of a few Italians too)

Dave Ramey’s Hyde (and other single-vineyards) deserve more notice.

There may be a little Pinot Blanc in the Chardonnay, but not very much, if any. Most of the Pinot Blanc gets thrown in with the Italian varietals that go into Guiliano.

BTW, both Clos Electrique and X Novo are vineyards planted in multiple clones and selections that are expected to ripen differently but be harvested together.